“Hey, the result's not even out yet," I said.

“I know. But it's good to have a plan B.”

I felt inadequate in comparison to even encourage her, forced to sit with the sinking feeling in my stomach. “I think you’ll pass. You’ve studied hard for it,” I said, keeping my eyes on her. She sighed quietly, the uncertainty still drawn across her face. I smiled a little, putting my hand on hers. “Where do you guys want to eat? Lunch is on me.”

I was in the middle of signing off on a form when I heard faint knocks on the door. At that time I was the only one in the Biomedical faculty office, but I didn’t assume that someone could be looking for me.

“Come in,” I said out loud before the door slowly unlocked, a familiar face meekly peeking in, almost scared to walk into the room. He looked so unsure of himself that I wondered if he realized he was in the wrong place.

Leaning back in my desk chair, I waited for him to say anything. I watched him do a timid bow and linger in the doorway until he’d gained the confidence to talk. But he still sounded so terrified when he spoke, each word tripping over the other. “Sir Jeon, I’m sorry, I know it’s not your office hours and I understand that—”

I softly cut off his rambling. “It’s fine. I’m not so busy. What’s your name first?”

Embarrassment crept up his cheeks. He cleared his throat.  “Oh. Right. I’m Choi Soobin. I’m in your Molecular Cell Biology class.”

I nodded. “I’m a bit bad at remembering names, but I do recognize you. Can I help you with something?”

He walked closer to my desk and fidgeted with the folder in his hands. I could tell that it was a struggle for Choi Soobin to meet my eyes, which made me wonder if my expression appeared unkind. “I missed your class last night because of an emergency at home. I wasn’t able to turn in my lab report and I was wondering if you accept late submission? I promise that I am not lying about the reason for my absence, but I–I stayed up late for my work before the deadline. I expect point deductions–”

I pushed myself off the backrest and leaned over the table. “Okay. I haven’t begun grading so I’ll take it…” His face slowly lit up, and he looked like he was expecting a but in there. “I will give you full credit. But you will have to email me a letter for an excused absence within the day because Professor Joo requires a note. I’m sure you’ve read his syllabus. It needs to be received before class, but I’ll do something about that. Just never tell anyone that I let you submit late work, alright? I don’t want to give the others the idea that they can delay submission without penalty, or without valid reason.” Truthfully, if I had complete control over the class, I wouldn’t mind giving due windows. Attending classes were already taxing as they were to some. But Professor Joo often asked for the grades as soon as possible, so I couldn’t defer the marking period and offer much leniency to the students.

All of a sudden he looked so much in relief, his expression softening.

“Yes, Sir Jeon, I will–I won’t tell anyone. Thank you, thank–” He might've taken longer to express his gratitude if I didn’t stop him as he handed over his work. His hands were shaking too much. I placed his folder on top of the stack of lab reports. Looking at him, I could just imagine this was how much of a nerve wreck I was back in college. Somehow my student sparked memories of situations with professors I would not like to be put back in. “Thank you, Sir. Really. I’ve been anxious about this all day…”

“Well, I’m glad this is out of your worries now.”

The erratic flow of words just started pouring out again. “Totally unrelated, but you’re my favorite instructor this semester. I’m not even lying, Sir. I hope you take on an assistant teaching class again next semester.”