2 - J U D S O N

Resli did not let Judson find lodging elsewhere, claiming there was enough space in the Master House and convinced him to temporarily use the bedroom right next to Waverly's old one.

Before he walked into his, he peeped in hers first.

Everything looked well arranged and neat, but there was not one item in there that belonged to her. He knew. The only sight he felt nostalgic about was the mimosa plant on her window, which had grown out more than before and was positioned where she used to sit just by the side.

His own room, according to Resli, used to be occupied by Lord Henry's wife, but the woman despised having to live there and had moved out only days after her first stay.

It was a pleasant bedroom with a wide bed that did not creak and no gaping holes in the floorboards. There was abundant space yet very little decoration. Only a pot of growing pansies stood by the bedside. In his treehouse, he prefered ground cover plants, like creeping myrtle or phlox because they were colorful and took up a lot of space. He moved toward the pansies and held an open hand over them, feeling their very roots, and then willed them to grow bolder.

The plants wriggled and engorged, exposing their contrasting middles and brightly colored petals. He beamed at the sight. They looked more alive then.

At night, Resli brought him food, a stack of blankets, and a new, lovely, handmade coat.

"Might not look like I do, but I learned how to make Shade clothing in my youth." She shared, smiling.

Judson put on the coat. It was lightweight, came in his favorite color and had an opening – for the protuberances in his back – that magically clasped on their own when the fabric touched.

"Thank you very much for this." He said gratefully.

"You're welcome." She responded.

From the look on her face, he gathered that she was still brokenhearted over the news. Before then, he had overheard her crying from downstairs. It was obvious that she had loved Waverly much. She made several eulogizing comments about her and reminisced about their time together in the Master House, revealing that it was because of Waverly she frequented the building more than normal.

After his meal, Resli made several inquiries about their journey, then told him all she knew about the Chasma.

"In my native land, The Chasma was something of a dreadful myth, but a few Dwarves from old times were told to have seen it."

"Does any know what it looks like?" He questioned, leaning forward on his elbows.

She shook her head. "No one truly knows. The Chasma is a presence only. No being can tell when and where it comes and goes. All we know is that it serves a dangerous purpose."

"Can it be found?"

Again, she shook her head. "I cannot say, but I believe that if you travel to my home realm of Hammiton, you might find better answers than this." Her eyes saddened and her voice mirrored it. "All I pray is that Heltryd was not brought to harm. She is a warrior and she will prevail. It might even turn out that she finds her way back to us."

Judson chuckled at that. Indeed. She was capable of such a thing. Her spirit was undying and perseverant. It felt like a necessity – her achievement of great, unspeakable feats. Escaping whatever outcome the Chasma had subjected her to could undoubtedly be one of them.

The following day, he heard noises.

He stayed put, taking it that occupants of the Master House were preparing to leave for their various businesses of the day. He prayed that until his departure, nobody would meet him. He wanted to speak to HalfHyde. It plagued him how hurt the Half-Elf had looked. He was well aware what Waverly meant to him. If anything, he deserved to be told what had truly happened to his daughter.