Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch. 16: A Surprise Date

Charlotte

Despite my platonic interaction with Chadrick, I feel uneasy knowing Ashton has been watching us behind the meeting room wall. It's not about what is visible. It's about what lies beneath. Ashton's theory about his buddy being attracted to me should persuade me to set a boundary with Chadrick, yet I have done nothing about it. If Ashton isn't pleased with what he sees, he surely doesn't show it. But again, this is Ashton I'm talking about. Reading his mind through his expression is sometimes harder than winning a lottery.

What's more absurd is that Chadrick is the one who's got his shorts in a knot. After showing his unfriendly welcome to Ashton, he glances at me. "I need the reports first thing in the morning. Have fun with dinner."

"Well noted and thank you," I say, but it's more of an automatic response since his mood swing catches me off guard. He was completely fine a few moments ago inside the meeting room.

"Did he get out on the wrong side of the bed?" Ashton raises an eyebrow at the corridor where Chadrick has disappeared.

"I'm not sure." I turn to face Ashton and squint at him. "What did you do?"

"Me? What did I do?"

"Maybe you two have had an argument that I know nothing about?"

"I haven't talked to him since Emily's birthday." He catches me by the waist, our faces inches apart. "Enough about him. Now let me kiss you." He leans in and presses his lips against mine before thrusting his tongue into me. He doesn't hold back with the sucking and trapping my tongue between his teeth. The intensity knocks the air out of my lungs.

I pull away to catch some breath. "You're here to take me out to dinner, you said?"

Ashton's gaze stays on my lips. "Yes."

"On what occasion?"

"Occasion?" he asks, lifting his gaze to me. "You sound like taking my girlfriend out to dinner is a crime."

"For a busy man like you, that might be the case."

"I'm sorry if my schedule made you think that way. Let's fix it, then."

He leans in again, but I hold his jaws to stop him. "But what about Chloe?"

"The perk of hiring a live-in butler. Rudolf arranged everything," he says. When I raise an eyebrow, demanding more explanation, he adds, "The new sitter is available this evening."

"Ah." My eyes flutter when Ashton brushes my lower lip with his thumb, but I grab his hand and interlock our fingers before pulling him to the corridor. Despite his familiarity with this building, it's still my workplace. Making out where people can see us doesn't feel right. "So, where are you going to take me?"

"I have a few ideas."

"Fancy restaurants?"

"I know you're sick of them, especially after joining Trisure. So, no."

I get excited at his reply. "I'm sold. Almost."

"Let's get you out of here first."

"Okay." When we reach the end of the office hallway, which leads to two paths: my wing and Emily's wing, I give him a peck. "Why don't you say hi to Emily while I get ready?"

I dash to my office to tidy up my desk at the speed of light, with a grin plastered on my face. Since I left the Remington group, this is the first time Ashton has picked me up from work by himself. Being home on time for dinner is already a struggle, let alone leaving work early to woo his girlfriend. It's not like I hadn't been aware of it when I agreed to date him. I knew what I got myself into, but then a little surprise like this would prompt my mind to run wild with speculations.