4 | The 'Innocent' Psycho

On this sunny day, Emiko and I were planning to bury our time capsules that we couldn't bury on the day that I met Kabukimono. We had completely forgotten about them for six months, and only now did we remember it after I was explaining to Emiko about how Kabukimono and I met. But it felt unfair to leave Kabukimono out of it, so we decided to do it a month later hoping that he would have enough memory items to put in his own time capsule. Thankfully, the impatient Emiko happily agreed to it. 

I spent days hanging out with Kabukimono, with Emiko occasionally joining us after she finished all her chores. Sometimes, I would also catch my siblings peering onto us to eavesdrop, claiming that Kabukimono and I were in love due to how close we were. Sure we were close and I would have done anything to ensure his happiness and safety, but that didn't mean I love him in that way - Kabukimono was my dear friend, and although he was a puppet rather than a human, I still cherished him the same. 

After finding out about his lack of a human heart and human needs, of course I was shocked. But that also meant that I had to protect him even further. I couldn't leave him - I wanted to stay with him forever, protecting him and making him happy. I wanted to give him the perfect gift for his birthday. Something that was more than just wealth and luxuries. Something that would stay with him forever. 

At this point in time, the whole of my family and Emiko discovered Kabukimono's true identity as a puppet who was abandoned by his creator. Of course, they all felt pity for him and tried to maintain a happier atmosphere for him, but we all knew that our appreciation for him was genuine. And he knew that too, and I was thankful for that. Ayuto was particularly interested in the fact that Kabukimono was a puppet, probably thanks to his love for anything abnormal or not human like animals, insects and toy mechanics. My parents adored him, making sure to make him some hot chocolate for him, although I rarely got hot chocolate. 

Even so, Emiko and Kabukimono wouldn't get along - however instead of just awkwardly staring each us with their menacing glares like previously, they would now verbally try to torture each other. 

"I was friends with Y/N first!" Emiko argued aggressively like a wild dog, and Kabukimono wouldn't accept her claims. 

"I'm still closer to Y/N than you, you fool!" The boy argued back like a wild cat, and the two of them were fighting like wild animals, chasing each other around as I sighed. Were they seriously fighting like five year olds?  Sure, we were still young. A young teenager will not understand the complete rules of nature, and only enjoy youth while begging to be older, to be an adult who could control their own choices. As children, we all believed that we were mature and strong enough to pass as adults. Yet that foolish belief would destroy my life. 

"W-We're so close that Y/N's siblings think we have a c-crush on each other!" Kabukimono reluctantly but proudly announced as he stuttered, while sticking out his tongue so that it wouldn't be too awkward. Emiko simply stuck her tongue out back to him, trying to think of another insult to deliver to him. 

I watched them fight knowing full well that me trying to join would only add oil to the already spreading wildfire. As my legs dangled swiftly while I sat comfortably on a tree branch that was at least four meters away from the ground, I sensed a presence amidst the atmosphere. I turned my face to see a familiar white-haired kid with golden eyes gazing at me, but my guts sensed that he wasn't here with good intent. 

 "Aoto...? When did you get up he-" But before I could continue, I felt my heart pound aggressively as my head began to spin, my body being dragged to the ground. At first, I felt a push. It wasn't a heavy one, but because I was sitting on the branch of a tree, I immediately lost my balance. Next came the forceful pull of gravity, and soon I realised that I was plummeting to the ground head first.