chapter 14; dancing with death

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I didn't realize it was morning already."

"Well...erm." You dusted yourself off, "I need to get ready for the mission." You stated.

He nodded, "Right. I forgot. I'm...sorry." The awkwardness in the air between you two was so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

You immediately waved your hands apologetically, "No! No, please. Don't apologize!" You were offering the best smile you could, but you couldn't help but blush in embarrassment as you came to the realization that you had spent all night laying with the Captain. "It was nice, Levi. Really. Thank you." You tucked a strand of hair behind your ear as Levi said nothing more. "Well, I think I'd better get going. I don't want to miss breakfast. See you soon, yeah?" You said.

"Yeah. I'll see you when you get back." Levi concluded. Although, as you walked away, the Captain had a sinking feeling he might not see you again.

________________________________

You had managed to scramble into the breakfast line right before the kitchen closed for the morning. Jean had noticed you looking for a spot to sit and scooted over to allow you a place next to him and Sasha. You sat down and thanked him gratefully as you nodded good morning.

"Looks like someone was out late!" Sasha said as she ate her breakfast.

You blushed slightly and just shrugged it off, trying to avoid the conversation, but she continued on, "I didn't know the walls were such a comfortable sleeping spot."

You choked on your food and started coughing as Sasha sat there with a proud look on her face.

"Hey, Sasha. C'mon now." Jean said, offering you a pat on the back. "I'm sure Adeline here is tired from her exciting night, let's lay off for now." He shot you a knowing smirk. "Besides, she needs to finish eating as soon as possible and get her shit together before we leave. Stragglers get left behind, you know."

You grunted in acknowledgment as your comrades grabbed their trays and discarded them, saying their goodbyes. The dining hall began to thin out and you gobbled down your food, dashing out of there and back to your dorm to don your harness and uniform, which you unfortunately did not know the whereabouts of. You didn't have time to lay everything out before Levi had pulled you away last night.

You rushed into your room in a frenzy, but halted in surprise as you saw a fresh uniform and new gear laid out onto your bed. You stalked towards it in confusion, noticing a small box and a note that sat on top of the clothes.

I'm sorry I didn't get you back to the barracks at a reasonable time last night. I'm sure you're rushing to get ready, so I already went ahead and laid the necessities out. I enjoyed speaking with you, Adeline. It's been a while since I've had that chance. Talking to you just comes easy, I guess.

I meant to give this gift to you last night, but you had fallen asleep before I got the chance. I know what it's like to not be able to have nice things. So don't mention it. You don't have to pay me back for this. Just return the favor by coming back alive.

-LEVI

You smiled as you read the note and picked up the small red velvet box that it was paired with. You held your hand to your mouth in shock as you lifted the lid. It was the gold and emerald necklace you had seen at the market when you went with Levi. He must have bought it when I wasn't looking. You were at a loss for words, and silently cursed him for giving it to you when you didn't have a moment to thank him.

You stared at the box in disbelief for a while, but soldiers shouting for departure shook you out of your daydream. Right. You threw on your uniform and strapped your gear to your sides. You tied your hair out of the way and picked up the necklace once more as you put it around your neck.

The dainty chain tickled your skin as you hid it under your shirt. It'll be my good luck charm, you silently decided before grabbing your cloak and heading towards the courtyard.

________________________________

The ride towards Hange's Squad was long and gruesome, with little time to stop for food and water. The expedition consisted of Military Police and Scout Regiment soldiers. When you had finally regrouped with the rest of the soldiers on Wall Rose, it was announced that Eren and Ymir had been taken by Reiner and Bertholdt. A counterattack was planned swiftly by Erwin and Hange, and within an hour or so of your arrival, the expedition was on the move again towards the enemy Titans.

You gained quickly on your enemies but the plan soon went sour when Reiner transformed into his Armored form. Titans began swarming the formation, but Erwin continued to lead his hellish charge to recapture Eren, causing many to lose their lives. It wasn't before long that you encountered Titans of your own.

The situation was grim. The battlefield was riddled with dismembered bodies and the blood of Military Police and Scouts alike squelched beneath the hooves of your horse. You had watched countless soldiers get devoured, and even watched Erwin himself get snatched away by a Titan. However, his last orders were to keep advancing, so that is what you did.

You had come across a group of soldiers fending off two titans by themselves, scrambling around in terror. On instinct, you swiftly came to their rescue, and helped take down the giants before they could get eaten. In a last ditch effort to give them hope, you told them to place their faith in you and rally together, even though you knew deep down that all this bloodshed would most likely be in vain.

Following your lead, you lead your team straight for the enemy shifters, hoping to aid Mikasa and the rest in recapturing Eren. However, they were still a ways away, and you were about to encounter another wave of Titans.

"Soldiers, prepare to fight!" You drew your swords and rose to crouch on the saddle of your horse. "Give your lives here and now to protect your loved ones back home! Give your lives for humanity!" You shouted, as doubt gripped your mind. Is this right? Am I a fool for leading these people to their death?

You gritted your teeth as the strangers gave their last battle cries. You had finally reached the small swarm of titans, and almost instantly, two of your comrades were snatched up by a hidden fourteen-meter that cropped up from behind a house.

You glanced back in horror as they screamed for their mothers. You were reminded of when you first entered Wall Sina with the Scouts and how mothers were crying for their children. It was a gruesome parallel to see both sides of that torment. I refuse to let them die like this! You screamed in your head as you readied to fight.

But as soon as you turned back to face forward, you rode straight into the hand of an abnormal titan. The wind was knocked out of you as your body was swatted effortlessly off your horse. You soared through the air until your body slammed into the ground. You tried to scream in agony as you felt your bones being crushed by the fall, but you were breathless. You rolled around on the ground in pain, your mouth stuck open, trying to scream for help.

Through the ringing in your ears, you heard rumbling footsteps coming your way. The abnormal was coming towards you to finish the job. This can't be it. You panicked, trying to stand back up to fight, but your leg was so badly beaten that you had a gash down your calf deep enough to expose your bone.

You began to grow disoriented from the blood loss, and your vision blurred as tears welled in your eyes. The screams of your squad rang in your ears as you heard their bones being crushed in various titan mouths. I can't die here. You thought back to your family's faces. You felt your father's bloody hands in yours as he sat there on his deathbed, begging you to save your brother.

The shadow from the titan's hand slowly covered you in darkness, as the sun disappeared behind it. You screamed out once more, but you knew no one could hear you. You closed your eyes, begging for this ending to be swift.

But death never came. And the shadow from the titan's hand swiftly disappeared. You opened your eyes in confusion as you looked at what had happened. Through the tears and the pain, you realized that the titan now lay dead on the ground, it's arm still outstretched for you. Atop it stood Jean, who hurriedly rushed to your side.

"Adeline!" He cried, kneeling beside you. "Shit, how did this happen?" He stared in horror at your leg, removing his jacket to try to make a makeshift tourniquet.

You began fading in and out of consciousness. The last thing you heard before you blacked out was Jean's voice begging you to hold on.