Chapter 28 - Moon 16

Start from the beginning

Riverflower nodded, "that seems fair. Morningpaw, Forestpaw face each other!"

Ivyshadow tried not to get competitive, but it was hard. She felt like Forestpaw was a direct reflection of how good a teacher she was.

"Ready... get set.."

Small, fluffy Forestpaw faced Morningpaw fearlessly. The slender black apprentice looked at him almost lazily. Both Ivyshadow and Forestpaw's eyes narrowed.

"Fight!" Riverflower yowled.

Morningpaw darted forward, shoving Forestpaw over with sheathed claws.

"Get up!" Ivyshadow encouraged, and Forestpaw rolled to his paws, hissing.

Morningpaw attacked again, too quick for Forestpaw to dodge. She leapt up and pinned him down, effectively ending the fight in less than a minute. Forestpaw glared up at her, and raised his paw to counterattack.

Ivyshadow's cheers faded as she realized his claws were out. He slashed the young apprentice's cheek,causing her to cry out in pain. "Forestpaw!" Ivyshadow yelled, horrified.

Forestpaw rolled to his feet looking proud. "I won!"

Morningpaw had retreated to Riverflower's side. "You cheated!"

Ivyshadow stormed over to Forestpaw, "Why would you do that?" She had to struggle to keep her voice calm.

Forestpaw blinked, confused. "I won, right?"

"No you didn't," Riverflower hissed, "you little-"

"I can handle my own apprentice." Ivyshadow snapped, "We will train alone for now." It felt wrong to speak to her mother that way, but Ivyshadow was too angry to care.

Riverflower glared at her, wrapping her tail around Morningpaw. "Let's go find Birtchtail." The two cats stalked away through the snow, noses in the air.

Ivyshadow turned back to her apprentice. "Why did you use your claws?" Now that the added stress of Riverflower was gone, Ivyshadow felt it was easier to stay calm.

"I didn't do anything wrong!" Forestpaw insisted, looking like a cornered mouse, "I thought claws out were allowed - that's how Goldpaw taught me!"

Goldpaw. Violetfang's apprentice. Ivyshadow sighed, "It's not your fault, Forestpaw. Voiletfang shouldn't have taught Goldpaw like that. Using your claws on your own clanmates is wrong, even in play fights."

Forestpaw opened his mouth to argue, but Ivyshadow interrupted. "Got it? No more claws."

There must have been something in her tone of voice that said no more arguing, because he gave a reluctant nod.

"Now let me teach you some fighting moves so you can beat Morningpaw without using tricks," Ivyshadow meowed, voice light.

Forestpaw grinned up at her, "Okay!"

○○○

"Ivy, can I talk to you?"

Ivyshadow was sharing tongues with Snowfall when Runningmouse padded up to her. She stood up immediately, reading his expression as something serious. "Of course. Let's go hunting later, Snowfall."

Snowfall and Runningmouse exchanged respectful nods before Ivyshadow and her mate padded out the entrance. It was snowing again, but only enough to add another another inch to the snow covered forest. Runningmouse walked close to her, his expression troubled.

"What is it?"

Runningmouse hesitated, then sighed. "I don't know if I should tell you... but no, we shouldn't keep secrets."

Ivyshadow perked her ears, a little nervous. "Tell me."

"Well... I want to visit the Falling Rock camp. Just to check if they're alright." he glanced at her, but Ivyshadow didn't respond. "It's just - well - I heard there's a sickness going on over there. I'm worried about my siblings."

Ivyshadow frowned, remembering what Birchtail had said about Runningmouse and Falling Rock. She didn't believe Birchtail, of course, but still. "Going to check on them could risk our health. You could catch the sickness and spread it over here."

"I know, but-"

"Are you willing to risk that?" Ivyshadow asked, not unkindly.

Runningmouse watched his paws indent in the snow as they walked. "I never thought of it that way."

"Runningmouse, I know you are loyal to Tall Trees. But don't you think part of being loyal is putting Tall Trees over Falling Rock?"

Runningmouse sighed. "I know your right Ivy. That is what makes sense. But still-" his voice broke.

Ivyshadow glanced over at him, surprised to see deep sorrow in his eyes. "Runningmouse, what aren't you telling me?" she pressed against him, worried.

"Cobaltwhisper wasn't at the last gathering. After Windfur-Windfur... they are the only family I have left." Runningmouse looked back at her, his eyes full of pain. "Ivy, I'm sorry. I shouldn't dump all of this on you."

Ivyshadow felt her eyes grow wet. It hurt her to see him hurt. "Don't be sorry, Runningmouse." She leaned in to press her cheek to his. What could she say to ease his pain? She didn't know how to comfort other cats. "Runningmouse, I... I think you shouldn't go see them. The gathering is in two days."

Runningmouse glanced at the bright sky as if to see the moon beyond the drifting clouds. "I know you're right, Ivy."

They walked in silence for a little while, Ivyshadow worrying if she'd said the right thing. Should she have told him to go? But what if he went, then got hurt? But he is already hurting, Ivyshadow realized, sorrow in her heart.

"Ivy, did I ever tell you about my parents?" Runningmouse asked, still watching the clouds.

Ivyshadow shook her head, then realized he couldn't see her. "No, but you don't have to."

He smiled through the tears, turning his head down to meet her eyes. "My mother's name was Swiftrunner, and my father's name was Molefur. Swiftrunner was always loving, the type to take any kit under her wing. She would have loved you, Ivy."

Ivyshado didn't say anything, not wanting to interrupt.

"Molefur was the more strict one, the one who punished Cobaltkit, Rockkit and me. But he was the strongest warrior in the whole clan. They say he could see in any darkness," Runningmouse's eyes glowed as he remembered his father. "Nobody know how they died. I was a new apprentice at the time. They went into the tunnels and never came out." His voice sounded far away, his dark eyes fixed on the falling snowflakes. "We all took it different ways. Cobaltpaw became more closed off and distant. Rockaway became stronger from it, more determined. But me? I just wanted my parents back." His voice broke again, "I still want them back."

"They are watching you from Rising Star." Ivyshadow meowed, feeling tears gather in the fur beneath her eyes.

Runningmouse nodded, "I know. Swiftrunner and Windfur are probably chasing rabbits together right now." He turned to face Ivyshadow, smiling a sad smile. "I love you, Ivy. Thanks for listening to me."

Ivyshadow knew without doubt her answer, "I love you too, Runningmouse. And I'll always listen."

This is Morningpaw, daughter to Sunshine and Blackstripe. She is Riverflower's apprentice and sister to Daypaw.

Remember to vote or comment if you liked the chapter! I love you all!! 😘