Chapter 27 - Moon 16

Start from the beginning

Forestpaw brightened again, glancing around the snowy forest. "Where do we look?"

Ivyshadow murrowed in amusement, "Nowhere close by - we've scared them all off from our training." She paused, thinking, "What do you want to hunt for? Squirrels or rabbits?"

"Rabbits." Forestpaw said immediately.

Ivyshadow guessed he was itching to run, a feeling she could understand. "Alright! To the Swaying Grass border!"

As they walked, Ivysjadow took the opportunity to teach him something Blackstripe had pounded into her head, "one thing to understand; just because you're hunting a rabbit does not give you an excuse to cross the border."

Forestpaw snorted, "If it's our rabbit, shouldn't I be able to hunt it? They have fish to catch."

Ivyshadow stared at him, shocked at him disrespect. She had told him what to do and he was just going to disregard that? "Do you know what happened last time a clan attacked us?"

Forestpaw blinked, surprised. "Nightkit died."

"And I carried your little mewling self out to safety, risking my life and ignoring the pleas of the friends in battle to save you. One border crossing can lead to a bad relationship, which can lead to war," Ivyshadow leaned closer, "which always leads to death. You understand?"

Forestpaw nodded, looking a little scared. Ivyshadow leaned back, immediately feeling guilty. Was that really necessary? Had she just traumatized him? Was she too harsh? Was she failing at being a-

"But still," Forestpaw argued, appearing to have already recovered, "It's our rabbit."

Ivyshadow sighed. Of course. Why would Acornstar give her beloved Violetfang the difficult apprentice? "Prey doesn't belong to us, the territory does." Ivyshadow settled for a straightforward explanation, "we only own the land. The prey on it belongs to the Clan Of Rising Star. This is why every time we kill, we thank the Rising Star for giving us its life."

Forestpaw opened his mouth as if to argue, then shrugged, "I guess that makes sense."

Thank the Rising Star. Ivyshadow thought, relieved.

○○○

By the time Ivyshadow and Forestpaw had made it back to camp the snow piled up to Ivyshadow's belly fur. Forestpaw hadn't managed to catch anything, but Ivyshadow had caught a rabbit that had escaped his hunt and was now letting him carry.

"Goldpaw!" Forestpaw pranced over to his sister, proudly showing her his catch.

Goldpaw smiled, turning to congratulate her brother. Ivyshadow watched, a smile on her face. The two siblings were close, and had a rare relationship. Most - or all siblings she knew would not be so supportive. Ranging from Snowfall or Birchtail's sarcastic responses all the way to Cobaltwhisper, Rockwhisker or even Violetfang.

Speaking of her sister... Ivyshadow turned to look for Snowfall. She still hadn't got the run down of the latest gathering. Snowfall was standing next to Winterthorn underneath the elder's tree for some shelter. Her belly was already stretched out, the promise of kits beneath her skin. Leaf-bare kits, Ivyshadow thought worriedly, but pushed it away. "Snowfall!"

She joined the two of them, grinning, "So what's it like to finally blend in with the forest?"

Snowfall laughed, "It's great! Isn't it beautiful?"

Ivyshadow was about to disagree, but thought better of it. "Yeah!"

"Sooo I'm guessing you want to hear about the gathering?" Snowfall asked, always ready to give gossip. "Nothing new with Swaying Grass. Oh, except for Dreamwalker had another prophecy."