Whispers of Darkness

Hey guys! Sorry I've been gone for so long, but I'm back! 

This chapter will be kind of more where this story's plot diverges from the original book, and from now on will probably get a lot darker. 

Percy was tired. Tired of fighting, tired of helping, tired of being good for others. However, most of all, he was tired of walking.

Tartarus was literally hell, and he knew he should be dead by now, even with Bob's help. Even Nico, the literal Prince of the Underworld, hadn't lasted long here before he'd be captured. Yet here Percy was, surviving in the Pit of Darkness. No, not surviving, thriving.

Percy didn't want to admit it. He'd been trying to hide it. He didn't like the pit... it was cold, harsh, hot, and designed for killing demigods. But somewhere, deep down, he felt like he belonged here. When he'd killed Arachne and the empousai, that horrible desire to kill, to torture, to hurt them. He couldn't resist it.

At first he'd thought it was just Tartarus, bringing out to worst of him. But then, Percy had realized that for Tartarus to reveal this part of him... it had to have been inside him all along.

He was pulled very violently out of his train of thought as he tripped over the Titan. It was one of those monster membranes, and inside, curled into a ball like the helpless baby he was not, was the titan Hyperion.

"Like me. Gold, not silver... but like me."

Percy started as he heard the titan-turned-janitor whisper. Of course, Hyperion and Bob looked similar. they were brothers after all.

"Look, Bob. You heard the stories, right? About the forces of light and dark? Good heroes, righteous gods, murderous titans and evil giants? They're right. Some of us are good, others bad. But we weren't born this way. We all have good and dark sides, it's our choices that define us, what path we choose to take. You're good Bob. Listen to that part of you. Your past doesn't change who you are."

Percy trusted Bob, but he also knew that too many good people had almost gone down a darker path, Luke, Selina, him. He didn't want his friend's history to stop him from doing what he believed to be right. 

"Bob... is good?" He said, but it sounded more like a question.

"Yes. Bob is good." Percy echoed.

Bob straightened up, and swept his broom spear in the air. From pure instinct, Percy ducked, immediately reaching out in the air for the familiar, thick, almost sticky feel of blood. He didn't find it. Instead, his powers grasped around a much less substantial liquid. It was smoother, and much more powerful.

He let go of the new liquid as soon as he felt it. It scared him... not the power, but how easily he could manipulate it. How easily he could kill with it. 

He opened his eyes and blinked, surprised to be covered in goop. 

"Bob is good. Now bad titan cannot hurt Percy."

Percy glanced at the broken monster membrane and the golden sand still floating away on the poisonous air currents.

Bob was good. Percy on the other hand... well, he didn't know anymore.

530 words

~ 🌊