XVI - Unexpected

"Hayley!? I am so sorry. I know you're tired and in pain" Nick started after waking me up from a nap I was taking at the sofa. "You're not gonna believe me" he said grabbing the TV remote from the table. He put on the Austrian Grand Prix that had happened that day.

"Did you just wake me up to watch Formula One as if it isn't part of my job?" I asked with a grumpy voice.

"Hang on a second, I need to rewind. There it is! Watch this"

I gave all my attention to the TV. Carlos was being interviewed. He looked as good as ever.

"This is off topic, but I would like to send a huge hug to my friend Hayley. She got in a kart accident and went to the hospital. She is okay now, but I know how difficult is it to deal with the pain, so I hope she knows Ferrari is supporting her during this difficult time. Hope to see you soon. Thank you" Carlos said at the end of his interview.

I was staring at the television not knowing how to feel about what I had just watched. It was nice of him, no doubt about it. Not sure if Ashley is going to be happy with the situation though.

"Why though?" I tried to play it cool in front of Nick after a moment of silence.

"Hayley!? What the- What kind of reaction is that? Why are you not freaking out? He spoke about you for literally everyone in the world to hear"

"I work there, remember? Not a big deal"

"He said Ferrari is supporting you, not the F1 media team!"

"He can't really speak for them. Either way, yes it was cute of him. Yes, I loved it"

"There is always a 'but'"

"Yes, there is a but. But! Carlos made it sound like I was about to die or something. It's not that bad, I'm fine"

"He hasn't seen you yet, my girl. He seems to be dead worried about you. You should, a hundred per cent, call him"

"Nick, I don't know if-"

"If you don't call him today or tomorrow, I'm stealing your phone and doing it myself"

"Fine. I will give him a call"

It took me a day to find the courage to call Carlos. When I finally did, he did not pick up his phone as usual. I did not even feel bad about it. He is a busy guy and I need to stop worrying and overreacting all the time.

As I expected, I woke up the day after still in a lot of pain, so I thought it was going to be just another boring day at home watching TV or playing games with Nick. I could not be more wrong about it. Suddenly, the door bell rang during the evening.

"Are you guys waiting for anyone?" Aunt Maria asked before standing up from the sofa to open the door. "Hayley, it's for you" she said with a huge contagious smile on her face.

I tried to walk as fast as I could to kill my curiosity and know who was at the door.

"Good evening, miss. Can I take you out to dinner?" Carlos said outside, with a rose on his hand, standing right next to a yellow Ferrari.

"Charlie!? What are you doing here!?" I was very surprised in a very positive way. "Yes, of course! Get in. I need to get ready. I didn't expect to see you here any time soon. Don't you have races this week?"

"Anyone can tell you haven't been working lately. Guess where the next grand prix is" he answered while getting in the house.

"Silverstone, duh!" Nick answered from afar.

"I like this kid" Carlos said in the most Spanish accent ever.

"Of course. I was being dumb" I said recognising that the next races where in the UK.