XIV - Go Karting

"Hayley?" Carlos approached me.

  It had to be a set up. Too many coincidences were happening. It could not be true. How would we be at the same restaurant, at the same time, randomly in such big city?

"What the hell are you doing here? With him!?" he continued.

"What the hell were you doing with her this evening?" I answered with another question.

"You know exactly what I was doing and why"

"Right. So, now it's official. You really are dating her"

"Didn't I tell you not to check the news and search about me?"

"Oh? What was the plan? Keep using me for fun while you are dating another person who happens to be my colleague and my boss' daughter!?"

"Using you for fun!? ¿Que?[What?], Hayley. I thought you trusted and believed me"

"I thought you were trustworthy"

"What changed from one day to another? No, wait- Don't answer. I can see the reason why right in front of my eyes" Carlos said talking about Mark.

"For your information this is not about Mark or me searching for whatever. I did not even have to do so"

"For your information, I don't care. You're the one hiding stuff here, hanging out with him in those fancy clothes. You already know what is up to me and her and you're being childish right now"

It hurt to hear that he did not care and it left me with no other words to say. Perhaps I was overreacting and being unfair and he was right calling me childish. It is how I felt anyway.

"Let's go Hayley. You don't need this humiliation" Mark got in front of me.

Carlos laughed at Mark. "You're the one humiliating yourself, man. What bullshit did you tell her this time? And how did you even know I was here?"

"Believe it or not, I didn't do anything. I simply invited a beautiful lady to go on a date with me and she said yes. I would say you are jealous if you didn't treat her like crap going out with other women" Mark said.

Carlos got absolutely pissed, getting closer to Mark as if he was about to punch him. Luckily for Mark, Carlos' friends stopped him from losing his mind.

"Carlos? Are you crazy? People are looking at us already" I said trying not to cry from being so nervous.

"Hayley, you know exactly what is happening in my life. It's sad that you didn't pick me. I am not a liar. Unlike him. Have fun at your stupid date" Carlos said before leaving the restaurant by himself.

"I don't even know what he's talking about. Picking him? For what?" Mark asked me.

"I am stupid" I started crying. "Ashley will always win"

"Win? Your life is not a game"

"Is there any small chance they are actually dating?"

"Carlos and Ashley? I mean- Yeah, there are always chances. I just don't think Carlos cares about her that much"

"When Ashley asks you to take photos of them... does she ever mention that they're not a real couple?"

"Not directly, I just assume they're not. It makes no sense to be that obsessed over someone you already have by your side, right?"

"I don't even know anymore. She's also obsessed with numbers, so maybe they really are dating and-"

"Hayley. Why are you doing this to yourself? Nobody wants to date someone like Ashley. They're not dating. Take that out of your head"