XIII - Forced Date

Carlos woke up early the morning after sleeping with me at my aunt's house. That is all that happened. We literally just slept. I woke up with him kissing my forehead and putting a blanket on my back.

"Carlos? Good morning" I said with my morning voice.

"Hi, pretty girl. I have to go, but it was nice spending the night with you" he said with his special accent.

Someone from his team picked him up from our place. He needed to get back to work and so did I. Ashley was the first person I saw in the morning at the office.

"Hayley, I love the videos you took in Canada! There is only one small detail I would change" she began complaining to me. "Oh! I almost forgot to tell you, you will have this week off"

"Why? I am ready to go to Austria" I was confused.

"I know, sweetie. We don't need you there this time. You're welcome? Take it as a holiday or something"

"That makes no sense, Ashley"

"You're right, when we get to work abroad sometimes feels like we're always on holiday anyway"

"I am going to Austria"

"Hayley, we need you here in the office. We're bringing someone else there instead"

"Ashley-"

"This is not negotiable. I've told you what you needed to know. End of discussion"

She would never change working plans last minute for no reason. Mark must have told her he saw Carlos and I together at the hotel. Ashley was trying to separate us for sure.

Truth is: I loved that job for many reasons — Ashley not being one of them — spending time with Carlos was always one of my biggest inspirations to be there with a smile on my face every week after constant exhausting flights. I was so excited to see him again and she got to ruin everything one more time.

  Not everything is bad, though. While I was working, I got an email from the Driving Women community regarding the driving trial I had previously done with them. They said they liked my natural abilities to drive and wanted me to try their simulators.

How could I say no to that? Since I was not going to Austria anymore, I had those days off to attend, so I accepted the invitation. Carlos was the first person I thought of sharing the news with. He was really happy for me.

"Hayley, I didn't know you were here" Marcus took the attention I was giving to my phone, coming out of nowhere.

"Mark? What are you doing here?"

Mark looked around. "Ashley owes me money" he whispered.

"Why am I not surprised?" I laughed.

"I am glad you're not like her, Hayley. You seem nice. I mean- You are"

"What do you need, Mark?"

"Don't get me wrong. I don't need anything. Not from you at least"

"You're being way too nice"

"I've always been nice to you, Hayley"

He had a point and did not lie about it. Despite the dirty work he was doing with Ashley and the way he spoke with Carlos, he really had not been rude to me.

"My apologies if I've ever treated you poorly" he continued saying with his posh English accent. "There is actually something I need to tell you"

"Mark, I don't want to get in trouble. This job is very important to me" I answered.