seven

( - season one, episode three )

Alayna listened to Percy and Grover's conversation drowsily, picking at her nails as they await Annabeth's return.

"You okay?" Percy looks over at her. Grover was staring out of the window quietly, which gave Percy some time to turn to Alayna. "Yeah." She nods.

"You got.." he whispers, pointing at the stray hair on her face. He moved it away from her eyes and she smiles. "I'm convinced you just like to touch my face, Perce." She rolls her eyes.

"Fine, I'll let the hair fall in your eyes next time. Don't call me to help." He shrugs. Alayna smirks and shakes her head, taking a deep breath in.

"Listen, about.. your mom." He sighs, looking over at Alayna. "Don't worry, I know." She sighs, nodding her head. "No.." he whispers, looking down the aisle to see if someone was coming before moving to sit in the seat next to her.

"I know you feel really bad about it," he nods. She nods along with him, eyebrows furrowed. "It's like I said, she can't ignore you forever. Sooner or later you'll know." He nods.

"And who knows, maybe Aphrodite isn't even your mom. Maybe it's.. Artemis. Or Demeter." He shrugs, following her face as she looks down.

She laughs and nods. "I'd like to think my mom isn't just embarrassed of me," she sighs, looking over at Percy. "That I've done some good by her name. But she's just.." Alayna whispers.

"Stubborn. Just like you." He nudged her legs and she smiled. "Not that stubborn, that's mostly you." She cocked her head to the side. Percy rolls his eyes playfully and leans back.

"That's why I was ticked off," she looks over at him. "Your bickering was making everything all the more harder. I want to give my mom a reason to notice me with pride." She mutters the last sentence when she notices how hard Percy was staring at her.