prologue

( - season one, episode one )

"She's so shallow."

"Her hair is nice though."

"Her dad doesn't even have any." Delilah laughs.

"Her mom abandoned her cause she's so ugly."

"That's mean, Nance."

"Maybe if she weren't so ditzy it wouldn't be so easy to make fun of her."

They were laughing at her. Alayna's head stayed down as she scribbled against the notebook, looking up at Mr. Brunner sitting at his desk.

She sighed out, pouting as she replayed the words in her head over and over. "Mr. Brunner, Nancy and her friends are talking." Percy raises his hand.

Alayna looks behind her to look at him. He shoots her a mischievous smirk as Mr. Brunner starts talking. "Enough of that, Ms. Bobofit. Or I will split all of you up." He speaks without looking up from his desk.

Alayna smiles at Percy, turning back to her notebook as she tried to continue her assignment. She wasn't the brightest in the book, but she wasn't incapable either.

She's only ever gotten even more sensitive and squirmish as she grows up. She can't sit still in class for long period of time and whatever she tries to read doesn't stick.

Her doctors saw signs of dyslexia and adhd early in her life. Her father shoved books in her face on the summer holidays where her sister would go to her friends cabin so that she could learn how to read.

The letters jumbled up. She didn't understand what they were saying and the one person who knew how to help her was Grover.

They'd sit next to each other at lunch as she read and when he noticed she was getting stuck, helped her sound the word out.

Percy and Grover were the two people Alayna trusted in the world besides her sister. Her father was a good man— a provider and he was there when he needed to be.