Chapter eighteen

Layla

I frantically look for a new place to hide but there is no furniture to use for cover. I'm out of time and luck as the painting creaks open and Maylock walks out, stopping at the instant he sets eyes on me.

     "Layla." he states quietly but then gazes at the curtain bundle on the floor. He picks up the pole that the curtain was attached to and leans it against the wall. "Hello again" he smirks but it softens straight away. "You ran out from Miscellania so suddenly. Are you okay?" he looks at me, the light from the doorway makes his eyes glisten.

     "I'm fine" I don't know how else to answer as I'm not too sure what came over me myself.

     "Since you're here, do you want to meet the other Guardians?"

     "Are you going to block me trying to leave again?" I swiftly respond and his gaze drops to my angel that's still flashing.

     "Oh you've found your second characteristic" he completely ignores my snide comment. "That was quick. I wonder what this one was." He considers. "The flashing should stop automatically but I can stop it now if you want?" I nod and he takes my arm gently and presses the small red button on the side and then twists the circle on top clockwise which stops the flashing.

     "Thanks"

     "Let's go and meet the others" he walks through the painting doorway but stops as he notices I haven't followed him. "That was an invitation to follow me" he beckons.

     "Well, invitation declined" I instantly scoff but soon consider my options.

I don't want to follow Maylock but I don't want to leave this house and be vulnerable to the Folklore woods and coloured orbs. I ended up here because I was hiding from them and if I leave then there's a chance they'll show again. I also have no idea how I could get back to my shack from here so I guess I'm left with one option.

     "Just one introduction?" Maylock tries to compromise and holds up one finger to emphasise his point.

     "One" I agree but can't deny the flutter of excitement that just crossed me or is it nerves?

I've been observing and drawing the Guardians for years and I'm going to meet them in person.

     "That's settled then. Let's go" Maylock waits for me to pass him as we go through the opening which leads to a corridor with bare walls. "I only asked to introduce you since we have just got back from the city"

     "Fighting Falox?" I add and he glances at me.

     "Yes" he's sceptic of my knowledge.

     "I was hiding in the curtain" I confess quietly.

     "Oh, so you made that destruction" his eyebrow raises as he grins. "Could your second characteristic be that you're reckless?" he broadens his cheeky expression and I glare at him. 

     "I didn't mean to cause it to fall. It just did" I had no control over the thinning threads of that curtain.

     "Yeah, that place really needs renovating"

     "Why is a house within the woods anyway?" I ask as we reach a set of spiral stairs at the end of the corridor that head downward.

     "The ancient guardians lived there" he tells me as our footsteps echo down each stair.

We stop at the next floor. There are stairs still going down but Maylock doesn't continue. Infront, is a grey door with another circle lock. There is a difference to this one. Instead of five equal sliced segments, there are layered circular rims with many patterns. The top rim alternates with a sword and shield carved into it. The rim below it has lightning bolts etched around it. The third rim has circles and diagonal lines and the fourth rim has triangles with a horizontal line going through them. In the middle is a large circle with a wolf's head engraved into it. 

Maylock presses his angel which makes the lock spin clockwise and with a click, the door unlocks allowing Maylock to push it and we walk in. I recognise this place instantly. The console in the right-hand corner, the white beams of light and the skylights. I'm in Miscellania. I ran out of this place and I've ended up back here.