Chapter fifty-seven

Layla

Leo's is utterly destroyed inside. There are overturned tables and chairs, some of the windows are smashed and sparks of electricity come from the cut cables that hang from the ceiling.

     "Watch them" Maylock warns at the sight of surging electric wires as we walk around the café.

These Mavlins must have been here for some time to cause this amount ofdestruction. I'm worried about the civilians that were here. 

It's going to take some time to repair all of this, Leo's was an amazing café. I loved going here to sit and draw. I also snagged a few pennies from the floor, hoping the luck of finding one would make my life any better. Alas, it never did.

A loud wail makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I run out, wanting to aid whoever is the cause of this sound. Maylock follows behind me as I stop at the doorway.

A mavlin has grabbed a woman and is pulling her back, causing her to slide on the floor uncontrollably.

     "Hey!" I make a move toward them but Maylock pulls me back.

     "Do not antagonise it." he mutters.

     "But-"

     "The civilian is dead Layla"

     "What!" A warm fury floods through me, causing me to clench my fists and a subtle growl releases from my mouth.

     "We have to be mindful about our next moves"

     "Sod that." A multitude of whines and sobs suddenly arise so I leave Maylock to follow them which takes me round to the side of the building.

Four people are hiding under a large round table, frozen by fear of two Mavlins that are closing in on them.

I run over and kick the closest Mavlin to the ground which makes them disintegrate instantly. I then deflect an oncoming punch from the other and hit its stomach, remembering the weaknesses from that replicate dummy training with Jordan. I punch that area two more times and then swipe their legs out to finish it off. The Mavlin explodes into particles as I place a final blow to the head.

I walk back to the table where those civilians were and they haven't moved. Each one is frozen from fear. 

     "Is everyone alright? We need to evacuate the area" my tone is calm to thaw their anxiety and I hold my hand out for each of them to take and pull them out from under the table.

     "Tho..Those Mavlins" one of the women trembles as she and the others look at me.

Everyone is shaking from what has been going on and their eyes are glassy with fright. They are all looking at me in awe, hope and in anticipation of what is going to happen next. I feel slightly empowered.

     "You are safe now" I reassure, leading everyone out from the table, showing my hand as a symbol of safety for them to grasp onto. Their grips are tight.

As the last man takes my hand, something sharp hits me in the arm. I shout out in reaction and my environment around me starts to spin.

++++++++++++++++

My world swirls back into reality when the man in front of me suddenly cowers from me. He knocks my hand away and looks utterly petrified. That goes for all the others I just helped. I don't think they are scared of Mavlins anymore. It's something else.

     "No, get away from me, you monster!" The man shouts and they all scarper away screaming. Monster?

I watch two of them increase their distance from me when they are suddenly consumed by a wall of darkness that spontaneously shows ahead of me. This darkness soon envelopes around the area entirely. It blocks out the Leo's building and makes no light or the city outside be seen, leaving just the Leo's sign, three tables and me in the centre of a mist of black.

     "Maylock?" I mutter a little worried as I recognise this environment and quickly work out that it's what I saw when Trixala affected me. Trixala must be here too. She must have attacked me which is what that sharp pain in my arm was. This place isn't real.