Chapter nineteen

Layla

     "And who are you?" I turn around at the demeaning sharp curled voice. Blonde hair and blue eyes greet me which contrast my dark brown hair and green eyes. She's stood near the console, hand on her hip and studying me intently.

     "This is Layla" Maylock answers for me which annoys me.

     "So why is she here?" the woman asks in the same tone.

     "Because she is our newest Guardian"

     "What? No, she can't be" she shakes her head in dismay.

     "Well, I think I am." I bring up my wrist to show off the angel watch.

     "But it can't be you"

     "Why not? What's so special about you?" I snap and she doesn't respond until I hear a snigger but it didn't come from her or Maylock.

     "You just got shut down" someone rises from the stairs in the far corner of this room. His dark braided hair flows over to one side and when his hazel eyes meet my green, I recognise him instantly. He is the Guardian that everyone in Lakeintown knows what he looks like, just not his name.

     "Shut up Zack!" My long time query has been quickly answered by the woman.

     "Well, It looks like we have another Abbey, hey Maylock" he winks and elbows him into his side. Maylock backs off from his contact. I think he tried to make his retreat look subtle but I still noticed.

     "Just start training both of you" Maylock demands. His call mixed with exasperation and order as he rubs his side.  

     "On it" Zack nods but the woman doesn't move. She's staring at me. 

     "Go" Maylock firms and she huffs and follows Zack into a room next to the wide stairs I bolted down to leave before. "Finally" he rolls his eyes. "It was lucky that I found you in that house" 

     "Found me? You were looking for me?" I wonder. 

     "Layla, you legged it out of here. Of course we were looking for you. The monster was following you" 

     "And you know this how?" I frown, suspicious because I never saw or heard anything apart from growls and the red orbs of light but then I realise. 

Maylock said that the Monster was following me and I only saw those red orbs. That's the monster. My heart skips a beat in shock. I have been plagued by them nearly everyday and they were this mysterious monster all the damn time. I've been running from them for years but this sudden revelation still doesn't shed any light on what the yellow orbs are. Are they real? I haven't seen them in a while so maybe they aren't? 

     "We track the woods" Maylock answers.

     "So, the red orbs are the monster?" I utter in disbelief. "the red orbs are eyes?" Maylock nods, securing truth to my words and a wave of sickness comes from not working this out sooner. "You could have helped me" my voice strains. "What the hell"  

     "We lost you after some time so where did you go? What did you do?" 

     "I just ran" I shrug. "I tried to retrace my steps back to you but then I came across that old house" 

     "That's when we lost you then" I hear a voice and turn to see Zack holding his side, clearly in some discomfort. 

     "Abbey knock you for six?" Maylock also notices Zack's injury. "That was quick"