Chapter thirty-two

Layla

Masses of trees greet me as soon as I step outside. Every tree stares back at me, silent and eerie as if they are frozen in time. Time is cruel and it has caught up with this place. Ivy crawls up the building and many bricks are chipped and discoloured. Overgrowth has been able to grow freely without interruption. Lichen spreads across the thick bark of each tree and the shrubs around are large and prickly.

Branches sway in the tense flowing wind and a flutter of familiarity flows within me. This is the exact feeling I got when I was in that Trixala simulation. I need to get out of the woods but I don't know where to go? I always knew how to get back to my shack when I came from Lakeintown. Maybe I'll do that. Aim for the city. I'll be back in familiar surroundings then.

The tops of the trees are so layered that it's near impossible to find any large gaps between them. I can't see where the skyscrapers of Lakeintown are. This limitation means that I'll have to take the only other way. I'll have to go further into the forest.

As I walk deeper into the bleak woods, odd rays of moonlight break through the smaller holes within the canopies and light a somewhat path in front. Puddles flood the forest floor and I'm careful of the slimy, thick mud as I walk tree by tree. 

I'm always checking behind me which is a habit etched in my mind. It keeps me wary of my surroundings but it's put to use when I look back again and there are numerous yellow orbs of light within the darkness of the trees. The yellow orbs? There must be at least twenty of them but I'm not as scared of them as before because I know that they aren't really there.

     "You're just a part of my mind. Stop it" I shake my head willing for the orbs to disappear but they are still prominent and glowing bright.

Maylock and Zack haven't seen them so why am I the only one that has? Are they just a part of me that will not leave? A part of me that has been scarred permanently?

     "Leave me alone" I call out but multiple growls arise in response. Multiple growls? These growls turn into loud snarls and from the instant change of pitch and vicious tone, I run.

My feet pound the ground with each quick step I take. Mud splashes against the backs of my legs and paint them but I keep running until the pain of lactic acid builds up and causes me to slow down. My legs burn with rage as I lean on a tree to contain my heavy gasps. 

But then I hear another growl...                                    

Have I completely lost my mind?  

My breath hitches when I turn around because the more anxiety inducing coloured orbs are staring straight at me. The monster. I'm locked in its red gaze until it disappears, so I push off the tree and run, not caring about the searing pain in my legs.    

As I keep going, the number of trees decrease and the branches are sparse of leaves. The thinning overgrowth around and receding trees causes the night sky to open out from the space. Wow. But my awe of the night sky is suddenly converted to shock as the ground ahead cuts off completely. 

The rocks crumble as I wobble unbalanced and in fright of falling to my doom because I'm at the cliffs. Acres of trees spread below the sharp jagged edges. 

When I manage to stabilise myself, I step back to be on more solid ground which calms my heart. Now I'm safe and away from the edge, I'm able to look out to the night sky and take time to capture its entirety. It holds a shining moon with gleaming stars that cluster, bright and striking. It's beautiful, but the unpredictable and scary nature of this forest smothers its beauty. This is proven instantly as sticks snap behind me. Every nerve has started to tingle and the hairs on my arms prickle.