Chapter sixty

Layla

We run to the library. The large glass windows have been untouched from the wrath of Mavlin destruction which is good. The library is the second-best architecturally designed building in Lakeintown; with its a horseshoe shape and white panels overhanging the windows outside. These panels have an array of shapes cut into them that form a geometric design.

This view is disturbed when we spot the Mavlins. There must be a group of ten or more but I can't keep my count steady as they flood toward us and we are thick in a fight instantly, attacking our way through the waves that come upon us.

Maylock keeps to his word by taking many hits from mavlins that would have hit me instead. He even attacks any Mavlins that come within arms-length of me. We work together, our movements swift and timed with one another. When I disintegrate a Mavlin, Maylock has another lined up for me to finish off. We make a pretty good team, facing back-to-back as the numbers of them are falling dramatically.

My mind and body feel better. I'm loosened up from being in this fight so I stray from our organised Mavlin disintegration set up and approach one that's alone. They don't seem to know I am nearing them so I bring my right hand up to punch it straight in its face, feeling quite arrogant by attacking an enemy so unknown to what is going to happen to them, but before I make contact, I notice some black tar on my angel.

     "Maylock, what the hell is that on my angel?" I stop and put my fist down but the Mavlin I was going to punch realises I am behind them and they turn, carrying out what I had planned to do on them and the Mavlin hits me instead.

I tumble to the floor. My armour folds off back into my angel leaving me in my normal clothes. Anger laces within me from what just happened and the heavy feeling swirls.

Maylock punches the Mavlin that hit me and it disintegrates mid-air from the strength of his hit.

     "Dammit Mechon got you" He shoves another Mavlin to the side and punches it down. 

 I stand up. The black tar oozes over the main button of my angel. It's quite disgusting. 

     "You need to get your angel sorted" Maylock presses a button on his own one and lifts it to his mouth. "Zack, hope you sorted Abbey as Mechon's now got Layla's angel." 

     "I'll be there" Zack answers and a gust of wind blows my hair seconds later as he and Abbey land opposite us, their wide wings swoop down and slow their descent. "How long has it been affected" he walks towards me as Abbey finishes off the last of the mavlins. 

     "Just now" Maylock informs. 

     "Okay, so there's more chance of it succeeding. Layla follow me" Zack beckons me and I follow him Zack over to a bench. "Place your arm down" I do so and he takes something out of his pocket. I recognise it as a screwlag, though it looks a little different. It's smaller too. 

He carefully prises off the tar from my angel. It splats onto the table. The dark goo flows in many directions and tries to latch onto Zack's angel but he whips his hand away.

     "Are you going to contain that or something?" I wonder but then it starts to sizzle and evaporate, leaving dark dust where it once was. 

 Zack brushes the dust off the bench. 

     "That black tar is nasty stuff." He tightens two bolts on the strap of my angel with this tool. "There's not much damage luckily. What I just did with this turndrive should allow you to access your armour now" 

     "Turndrive?"

    "It's my adaption of a screwlag" He smirks, his eyes smug. "You're all good to go now."

     "Thanks Zack." I turn and twist my angel so that my armour folds back around me and we head back to meet with Maylock and Abbey.

     "Jordan just informed me that Mechon has fled but Adicus' location is still unknown. The civilians are safe and evacuated. The portal has gone too" Maylock informs us. "Jordan is on his way over so we can discuss our next moves"

     "Okay, but before we do any more, can I say something?" Everyone looks at me and now I'm in the hot seat. 

I don't know how to really put it, whether to just say it how it was or go for an easier, softer route but without them knowing is going to cause havoc. I am going to cause havoc and I am not having what I saw in the Trixala simulation consume me and come to an ounce of truth. I will never do that

     "Something did happen when I was in the Folklore woods with the monster"

"You're just wasting time" Abbey spites rude as ever.

     "No, I'm not"

     "Well, what happened? Did the monster knock you out? Hurt you?" she asks but it's not in a caring attitude, it's rather a sarcastic one.

     "Abbey, let her speak" Maylock supports me and all eyes are back on me.

     "When I was with the monster, I was bit..."

     "...Spoilers" the monsters voice rises but Maylock and the others are still looking at me, unfazed by the voice which makes me realise that I was the only one to hear it. 

     "What Layla? You were what?" Maylock asks me to continue but my mind is frazzled. I can't think straight. 

     "The monsters here" I claim instead. 

     "You have to ruin the surprise" the monsters voice responds with a growl that sparks the deep feeling within me.

Multiple circular portals suddenly appear around us. Deep colours of purple swirl around a black middle that spins as Mavlins flood out of each void. 

     "Maylock?" the Mavlins slowly swarm us. 

Nerves bundle within me from the sight of these horned enemies surrounding us and removing any option to escape. 

A loud bang echoes which makes me flinch from the sudden sound of it. It came from behind me and I turn around before any of the others do. 

     "Guys?" There's a large shadow at the top of one of the skyscrapers. "Guys!" They all turn around and see it. 

     "Get behind me Layla" Maylock pulls me so that he is in front. 

 The shadow jumps down the side of the skyscraper, digging into the wall to slow their descent which ultimately makes a path of destruction along the exterior. The marks are a long four-strike scratch line and I tense from the sight as I know who is coming down.

Not only does the ground chuck up a mass of dust at the impact of landing but a long snarl resonates through it. It's the Monster of Folklore.