Chapter 33

With Sybble leading her by hand to the reception, Ahna continued, albeit in vain, to reconnect to the aether and find Dyll. No matter how much she tried to clear her mind, how deep a breath she took nor how tightly she closed her eyes, the world around her, as active as it was, continued to bring her back to the moment.

"What's wrong with you?" Evelyne asked, noticing Ahna's erratic behaviour.

Sybble gave her an odd look. Ahna caught her gaze, there was more than frustration in her sisters expression this time. She was just tired. She had spent the past few weeks worrying, more so, about Ahna and Euol, she just wanted this all to be over and for them to return home. That was an awful lot to get from one look. Perhaps Ahna's sixth powers were working fine, there were just more pressing minds to read.

"Sorry," she said, amending her behaviour as they entered the antechamber of main atrium.

"Now, there's going to be a few important people there." Said Evelyne, "Try not to say anything silly. I don't want them to judge me by you."

"Why not just leave us in the guestroom?" asked Euol.

"Shush," Evelyne swatted at him, "Don't be silly. This sort of thing is who you three are."

She paused and second glanced Ahna, "Well, maybe not you."

Ahna poked out her tongue, Sybble side eyed her. She quickly reposed herself as though nothing happened. As troublesome as she had been, she was still Sybble's little sister. Sybble smirked, and squeezed her hand in solidarity as the doors opened and they were brought into a world so different to their own.

The atrium had changed little over the decades. They entered into a low roofed space, above which was a mezzanine. All around them in this tight area were tables of food and drink where officials from Langsine and the greater Leionrarch chatted. Councillors of Aydriell, dressed lavishly chortled and cackled over delicious foods while servants waited on their every whim, carrying their excessive gowns around the hall so that they did not dirty.

The Scionic Order was also present, hovering around and judging everyone their eyes set upon. More specifically, the hedonistic Councillors. For what it was worth, the Guildmen met them both halfway, not that that was any better. Their ego's were their telling signs.

All of this together made for an odd cocktail of emotions and thoughts in the air. On one hand there were wealthy and powerful people, rubbing shoulders, on the other hand there were the servants tending to them. This felt so polarising compared to the Seven Sounds, so much more tense.

Evelyne led them through the buffet into the main atrium. A figurative vacuum that drew their attention up and out as they stepped into it. Three great chandeliers hung down the main room, so large that they could house a small hideaway for people to retreat for secretive talks. At the back then, an ornate stairway rose to a stage and then split either side of a gallery as tall as the building. It quickly put Ahna in the mind of the gallery within the Tower of Higard, though this was far larger and better kept.

A few Guildmen and women stood around talking. One young man turned to see Evelyne as she marched purposefully towards them. He raised a glass, bringing the attention of the others to the young lady as she approached.

"There she is, our Queen of the North Lown." He declared, followed by a brief applause.

"Who are these people?" Ahna asked Sybble, she had been paying more attention to Evelyne, so hopefully she'd know: she didn't.

Evelyne greeted these people affectionately. On the surface there were cheers and hugs and kisses but it was all so sickly sweet. Like those rancid flowers of the Bramble Marsh, it seemed so clearly fake to Ahna.