Chapter 27

Ahna returned to Evelyne's quarters amidst the men leaving the mess hall. Dyll kept low in her pocket, holding Rune close. Despite not sharing the same history, Dyll found a quiet comfort in coddling the seed as he went through this alien world.

They arrived outside Evelyne's room, at which point Ahna hesitated, how much did everyone behind this door understand? Best to be safe, "Keep low, I'll tell you when to come out." she advised.

Ahna knocked the door, Sabian opened the weight metal bulkhead and granted her access to Evelyne's quarters, where a small group had gathered.

She entered mid conversation as Evelyne recanted, "I genuinely cannot remember the last time she came home." while laying on an ornate chaise longue, backlit by the ocean night, "Even Marolyne comes home more often, and she's been practically written out of our lives!"

Sybble sat on a chair in the corner, mulling things over. Euol browsed the books on the shelf, preferring that to keep time moving. Raudrich paced about the room nervously. The spotlight fell upon Ahna, briefly stunning her.

"How is she?" Rory pounced.

"Give her a moment." sighed Evelyne.

"She was really rude and mean."

"Huzzah, some emotion." Evelyne continued, Raudrich glowered at her, she simply shrugged, "It's progress."

"Sorry," he turned to Ahna, "It's just unusual for anyone to be able to get close enough to Rosalyne."

Ahna pondered for a moment, "What happened to her?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"When I was in the dark place, I met her there, but she was different. Younger and nicer. How did she get there in the first place? Something bad must have happened."

Raudrich looked to Sabian, who bore the same knowing look upon his face.

"Ah," he said, "Well, funnily enough, it started with your father."

"My father?" Ahna asked.

"He visited the Seven Sounds a lot, before any of you were born. He went there to explore the abandoned world, hoping to find an answer to Eymier's problems there." he explained, "That's where he met them."

"The orfolk?"

Raudrich nodded, "I don't know when exactly, but one time he returned to Langsine with some of them. Some pioneers who left Allmau in hopes of starting a new life in Eymier. He entrusted those orfolk to Rosalyne, knowing full well she was smart and compassionate enough to help them."

"What happened?" Ahna asked.

"My father discovered them," he explained, "He didn't react too well to finding them, or to my sister keeping secrets from him."

"So?"

"He killed them all. He burnt down the tower Rosalyne hid them in, right in front of her."

Listening to the story, Dyll curled up around Rune and held her close. The gravity of the situation was growing on him, he was alone in an alien world surrounded by monsters that might just kill him and destroy Rune. Ahna placed her hand over her pocket and gave it a gentle tab, she closed her eyes and thought hard on his anxieties. She had no intention of any bad fate befalling him, or Rune. His little heart calmed as he sensed her intentions. And in that, she too felt some relief for the situation at hand.

"But I was there when it happened, why wouldn't I be in this 'dark place' with Rosie?"

"How long had you been around them?" Ahna asked.