Chapter 29

The Entralyth arrived at a custom dock under the watch of the Guildhall. The great structure loomed over them, glowering down and dwarfing everything below it. Ahna only felt more tense as the ship came to a stop and those onboard begin to descend.

Ahna, Sybble and Euol, with their few things packed up, arrived at the top of the tower from which they could descend to the dock itself.

"Remember," said Evelyne, before they thought of stepping onto dry land, "Don't tell anyone who you are, unless I say."

"Why do you keep saying that?" Euol asked.

She paused for a moment, "No reason." Then turned about and took one large theatrical step onto the sturdy structure.

Irritated by the lack of answers, Euol hoisted a backpack and sunk into his shoulders, retracting into his own world once again.

Ahna stared up at the guildhall, a strap bag hung at her side, with Dyll and Rune peaking out from within. He shared Ahna's anxiety about this place, some odd energy was in the air, a static that needed release.

"Hey," Sybble nudged her little sister and brought her back with a gasp, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." She said, albeit uncertain, "Have you ever had a feeling, like something bad is about to happen?"

She nodded knowingly, "Every day."

"What do you do?"

She shrugged, "It didn't happen yesterday, so it might not happen today."

"Oh," Ahna nodded, she took her sisters hand and they started down the tower, "I that's bad advice."

The arrival was met with a modest gathering of people. Nothing too extravagant, although this didn't seem to affect Evelyne as much as anyone was expecting, perhaps she knew something they didn't. Amongst the small retinue was a flamboyant young guildmen who opened his arms to welcome Evelyne in a most sacorin way.

"There she is," he cried, "Queen of the North Lown."

She threw her hands into the air, "Sea salt is amazing for the skin." She said kissing his cheek.

Another person stood behind him, far more demur and stately. An older woman dressed in black, her eyes fixed on Sybble, who seemed far more familiar here than Ahna was expecting.

"Hello aunty," said Sybble to lady Carolyne De'Marche.

"Huh?" Ahna looked sharply to her, "Who's this?"

"This is mum's sister," she said.

The older woman remained silent and stoic.

"This is Ahna, my little sister."

Carolyne nodded slowly, she went to speak.

"Hello mother!" cried Evelyne stealing attention.

"Welcome home," she said, to Evelyne, her attention clearly focused on the three children.

"Yes, I found them in the Sounds." She said calmly and quietly, "But you know, it's been an awfully long journey, and I think we're all dreadfully tired, right?"

Before anyone could answer Evelyne turned back, "Perhaps we should retire to the lofts. There'll be plenty of time to celebrate our safe return this evening."

"Yes," she agreed, "Come with me."

"Wait!" cried Ahna, running ahead of the group, she stood in front of Carolyne and insisted, "I need to see Heinrich."