Chapter 25

Carried from the dark world by the balloon, Ahna was overwhelmed with the golden-white light, like that of the sun. It bathed her fully, and as blind as she was by the darkness, she became by the light, drowning own the sight of Kydd, and the balloon. She squeezed her hand tighter and tighter, not wanting to let go. The more she squeezed the tighter her grip until her knuckles turned white and she drove her nails into her palm. A short sharp pain, ran through her, electrifying her nerves. She twitched ever so softly. The light around her ebbed, as it did so, it soaked the world around her and revealed to her a new situation.

She found herself in a strange new place. A tall room, made of metal. It was well upholstered and dressed with finery. Beautiful gowns adorned manikins, posed as though talking to one another. They were dim lit by an orange light that buzzed from a lamp in the corner of the room. A set of windows, rapped with rain, looked out onto a grey, featureless horizon that melted into dark clouds above. Ahna glanced down at her hand, still clenched tight. She opened her hand and there, in her palm, sat Rune. All that was left.

Ahna gave a short sigh as she lay her head in Sybble lap. Her sister brushed back her hair and continued reading a peculiar story from a book. Ahna turned her head slightly, and glanced at the pages, the writing was small and letters were tight, it wasn't something she'd feel confident trying, but Sybble had a love of literature, and had always read to Ahna and Euol whenever she could – regardless of if they listened. This was nice.

"The bedrock, blistered boiled, burst and spitting fire into the air. By Kazand's hand the winds whipped up this boiling breach and fashioned it upwards as a potter crafts from clay. From the heavens lashed rain and hail, which struck the molten rock and hissed. Clouds of smoke and steam rolled out in all directions, and when they settled, Emica saw the weapon of the wizard now all elements were at his command..."

Sybble glanced at Ahna, she was looking at the pages, she seemed a little more engaged.

"What happens next?" Ahna asked.

There was a moment of quiet, "I think there's quite a bit to go." She said, "Maybe we should get some food first?"

Ahna remained quiet, a few tears condensed in the corner of her eye

"He's gone." She said quietly.

Sybble closed the book and set it to one side, she placed her hand on Ahna's shoulder, "I know." She said, "I'm sorry."

A few more tears began to form around Ahna's eyes, and she quickly dived into Sybble and held her close.

"It's okay," said Sybble, "Cry. It'll make you feel better."

Ahna gasped and wept and shed her tears against her sister who held her close and spoke softly, "I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner." She said, "This is my fault. I should have been more direct and told you the truth from the start and none of this would have happened."

"It's just hard to believe," said Ahna, "He's not coming back."

"We don't know for..." Sybble stopped herself, she frowned and nodded, "No, he's not coming back. But I'm not going anywhere."

Ahna squeezed her sisters hands as a few more tears came out, before she was spurred by the words she heard in the dark place. At which point she drew a deep breath and sighed.

"Are you alright?" Sybble asked.

Ahna shook her head with a deep frown, "I'm hungry."

"I bet." Said Sybble, trying to keep calm as Ahna seemed to wake up, how best to approach this?

Ahna sat up and rubbed her eyes. She stretched her legs and climbs off the queen-sized bed upon which the two were nestled. She made her way across the room and looked out the window, her legs were like jelly, it was as if the world around her was rocking back and fore...