Chapter 10

Crowded with constellations, the nights sky enthralled star gazing sailors. Tourists to this land, they delighted and cheered from a small group around the Melody Mill as stars shot by every few minutes.

On normal nights, Concordance had a cosey communal feel to it. People would gather in front of homes for food and drink, the children would play around the firepits under the watch of family friends. However, this strange night had brought a rowdy energy to the whole Sound. Ahna had never seen it so busy, nor heard so much commotion. Singing, cheering and laughter carried through the dale from the town centre. The glow of dozens of torches, lighting the campsite and markets, forbid the usually sleepy village from settling.

At the town centre, Mendace had setup his box theatre. It was a large structure, beautifully decorated and elaborate in nature. Much like the puppets, Mendace had invested a great amount of love and care into this structure, a manifestation of his pride.

Amongst the audience was the effervescent Evelyne, accompanied by the steely Sabian. Einrich sat in front of her, feigning interest in what Elyth had to say. Sybble also picked out the familiar face of Rory, watching from the wings with a few of the sailors. His clothes had changed, allowing him to blend in with the crewmen. He kept a low profile but gave a friendly nod when they met eyes.

Rosalyne and Cynor Hwitt were also present. The cynor looked most impatient, regarding the audience with discontent. The children here were unruly and undisciplined, running around, calling out and crying. Every now and then one would climb up from beneath the stage in the middle of the square, covered in sand and dirt, like an imp from the underworld. He muttered little things to Rosalyne, who did not react.

Sybble steered Ahna through the crowd to join Tizeal and her sons, who'd already settled in with some food and drink from the market. Curled up under blankets and furs and surrounded by the other children who quickly took their place.

"Hello girls," said Tizeal, "We saved you a space."

"Thank you," said Sybble, handing Tizeal a pillow.

Ahna was drawn to Rosalyne. Unlike everyone else here, the stoic woman remained focused. The light of the torches danced across her face but caught not even a twitch of emotion. Without turning her head, Rosalyne glanced to Ahna. A cold shiver ran through her, and Ahna turned her head to the stage instantly.

There was a nervousness about Tizeal when she asked Sybble, "Where's your brother?"

"I've not seen him this afternoon," she explained, "I imagine he's inspecting the machines."

"Ah alright, well I need to talk to the three of you when you get a chance."

"What about?"

Uh," Tizeal paused, sparing a thought for Ahna who sat in front of her. She then went on to mouth something, but was cut off by the start of the play.

Dressed in the most fabulous robes he owned, Mendace took centre stage. His rigid old body finding new vigour through performing once more. This was one of his duties that he adored, almost all the money he'd earned – through whatever means, found its way to this heat-warming hobby of his.

"Welcome, welcome, one and all." He called out, "To all of you who's home this is and is not, welcome to Concordance, the last of the Seven Sounds. The village at the end of the world." Mendace raised his hands and the audience gave a little cheer and applause.

"As is tradition here, I've concocted a little play, a short story to sing to bed the children, or feed the imagination for you oldies out there." He explained, before asking, "How many of you know about, the orfolk?"