Chapter 18

"Be careful out there," said Oz, he gestured to Sabian, "Keep close to him."

"I will." Said Euol.

Carried off by the lyrical lumberjack, Euol took a second to gather his thoughts. On one hand, Ahna was safely stowed away onboard a train. On the other it was a runaway train chased by a bullet bending tank staffed with mythical creatures. Probably best not to collect all the thoughts and just start walking. He approached Sabian, finding him discretely holding back an animated Rory.

"You!" Rory snapped to Euol, "You saw Meryt on that train, right?"

"Who?"

"That little creature."

"My sister?" Euol prioritised.

"The creature with her." He said, trying to keep calm, "I didn't just make that up, right?"

"The orfolk?" he asked.

"Yes!" Rory nodded, then returned to Sabian, "It was Meryt, one of the orfolk that she kept. I need to tell her."

"Do you think that's wise?" Sabian asked, acting anchor for Rory's ambitions.

He shrugged off any concerns, deciding that "She needs to know."

Rory pulled away from Sabian and made his way towards the commanders. Rosalyne's guards took point and blocked Rory from reaching her, but his presence was clear and caught their attention.

"Can we help you?" asked one of the commanders, greeting him coldly.

Rory looked to Rosalyne, "He's here." she frowned, "Meryt was on the train."

A pained look crossed Rosalyne's face, an expression cast to her guards, who pushed Rory back sharply as though reacting to this pain themselves.

"Follow the train!" Rory insisted.

"What is this?" the commander asked Sabian.

"Apologies," he bowed his head, "Let me remove him for you."

The commander snorted and nodded, then refocused on the expedition, leaving Rosalyne distracted while they spoke in front of her.

Sabian dragged Rory back, "Do you think yelling will get through to her?"

"Hey!" He pushed Sabian back, "At least I'm trying. Unlike the rest of you."

Wounded by those words, Sabian bit his tongue as not to fan the flames. Not a fan of conflict, Rory's attention turned to Euol, "Sorry kid, this is a whole thing." He said, "Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

Euol nodded, "I'm fine."

"What's your name, buddy?"

"Euol," he said.

"He's Aultrig's son." Sabian said quietly.

Rory ignored Sabian and continued, "Euol what?"

"Taudiera." Euol replied softly.

Rory looked to Sabian with a frown, "Wait what? As in..."

Sabian introduced "Euol Tauldiera," to, "Raudrich De'Marche. Your cousin."

Euol and Rory traded odd looks, then looked to Sabian.

"Wait, what?" Rory frowned, "Wait, wait, Sybble. She was our cousin."

"Sybble is my sister." Euol explained.

"Not that one?" Rory pointed after the train, that little one was far too young.