Chapter 21

The aether, though illustrated by the light of aetherforms, is a dimension in its own right and has no true physical appearance. Much like gravity its influence is far reaching and subtle. As thought and emotion travel freely through it, it is almost impossible to sneak up on someone or something adept in the aether.

While both Ahna and Kydd approached slowly, conscious of disturbing Apia, they noted that the great pyronaut seemed to become quieter as they grew closer. Kydd, perched upon Ahna's shoulder, was transfixed on the first sight of Apia itself. Neither of them paid any attention to what was happening around her feet.

The orfolk knew, well before the two approached, that they were coming directly for them. Unable to sense Kydd, locked away from the aether as he was, they saw the encroach of at least one loud, noisy, thoughtful stranger, whose imagination bubbled and bristled like a cauldron in her head.

Amongst the ground troop was Lyndd with the guards. Allmau Embers sat on branches and grasses all around, preparing to swarm if needs be, Ahna was walking right into their trap. She knelt down behind a bush, and peered straight through.

There it was, Apia. A towering structure, a beast of a machine with two huge armoured foreclaws shielding its front and one large papery Ember hive behind it. From between the claws were long crane arms, that put her in mind of the protruding eyes of a crab. The creature seemed to stare at her, but was otherwise still. In the calm, one Ember flew in front of the pair, it hovered for a few seconds, then flew at Ahna's nose. Nipping her gently she flinched back and swiped.

"Careful!" said Kydd.

"Kydd?" called a voice from behind them.

Ahna turned sharply, finding herself surrounded by orfolk at all levels. The embers took flight and swarmed through the air. Ahna covered her face as they flew at her. Apia itself roared to life, lifting its massive claws and rolling back a few feet to create some space. Overwhelmed, Ahna fell backwards and curled into a ball. Kydd, having fallen into the fleece hood when she fell to the ground, squirmed past her and lifted out his hands, holding Rune aloft an in clear sight of all those around.

"Stop!" cried Lyndd, seeing the familiar object.

A sense of shock went through the aether like thunder, all orfolk, no matter where they were or what they were doing, poked out from hiding. Lyndd's contagious surprise paralysed the troop, even the Embers became phased.

"It's me!" Kydd called out, "Don't hurt her, she's a friend!"

He climbed across Ahna and approached Lyndd who quickly took him by the hand and pulled him in close to embrace.

"We thought you were dead!" she cried.

The other orfolk of the troop, the familiar scavengers of the ground patrol piled in towards Kydd to greet him. To them, everything outside of the aether was synonymous with ignorance and death. Kydd was discovered in this world, he returned to it, and then came back with what might as well have been a mythical creature. This was all a little overwhelming, to say the least. The aetherforms flickered and crackled in the air as they tried to help process what was happening and relay it back to everyone else, but even they struggled.

Ahna lowered her arms, gazing up at the Embers, which flew off and left her be. She looked down at the orfolk gathering on her chest, catching the attention of Lyndd and the others. Lyndd yelped and raised her weapon, the others rolled back and scattered to a safe distance at seeing those big white teeth.

"It's okay!" Kydd cried, running in front of Ahna, "She's safe, she's my friend. She helped me get here."

Fear and exhilaration straddle a line upon which these orfolk found themselves, a fluctuating, nervous energy that captivated all orfolk of Apia.