Chapter 26 - Moon 15

Start from the beginning

Birtchtail hissed in annoyance, but finally backed down. "Fine." He gave Runningmouse one last glare before turning to Ivyshadow, "I told Acornstar you were on a walk. She doesn't know anything about this."

Ivyshadow gave a surprised nod of gratitude, but Runningmouse ignored the sediment.

The four cats managed to sneak back into camp, where Ivyshadow collapsed into her nest. Snowfall, who normally shared a nest with Winterthorn, joined her, curling around Ivyshadow like a mother with her wounded kit. "Toms are dumb. Don't worry about it," the pretty white she-cat whispered, "I don't know what you did, but I'm sure it was really brave."

Ivyshadow couldn't help but smile. She was lucky to have at least one friendly she-cat in her life, "Thanks, Snowfall. I love you."

"I love you too. Go to sleep." her sister meowed.

○○○

The results from what Ivyshadow and Runningmouse had done were subtle, but immediate. The Falling Rock border was suddenly scented again, and their Medicine Cat once again accompanied Birchtail to the moon pool. It would be a slow recovery from the deaths and starvation, but a recovery it would be.

Over that week, to Ivyshadow's dismay, her and Birchatil grew further and further apart. The only cat Birchtail seemed to talk to these days was Winterthorn; he spent the rest of the days holed up in his den. Although she felt guilty about it for Birchtail's sake, Ivyshadow began to hang out with Runningmouse more than any other cat. They went hunting together, patrolled together, and shared prey. He would smile at her when she told him the most mundane of stories, and their pelts would brush on their long walks, causing her heart to skip a beat.

"Ivyshadow!" Snowfall's familiar meow jerked Ivyshadow from her thoughts.

"Oh, hey Snowfall! What's up?"

Snowfall was brimming with excitement, her tail tip shaking, "guess what??"

"What?" Ivyshadow asked, curious now.

"Well, I'm not completely sure... Riverflower and Larktail said... but still..." Snowfall trailed off, her excitement being replaced by nerves.

"Rising Star Snow, just tell me!" Ivyshadow leaned closer to her sister.

"Ivyshadow, I'm... i'm pregnant!" Snowfall's big blue eyes waited for Ivyshadow's reaction, nerves, excitement and fear swimming in her gaze.

"Pregnant? Snowfall, that's great!" Ivyshadow leaned forward, a glint in her eye, "finally seduced Reedstar, did you?"

Snowfall rolled her eyes, "keep your voice down, Winterthorn still doesn't know... I'm going to tell him tonight." the she-cat's eyes landed on her mate.

He was talking to Birchtail on the other side, for once he seemed to be cheering up Birchtail instead of the other way around.

"That's amazing! Congratulations!"

Snowfall allowed the joy to seep back in her eyes, and she grinned, "I know, right. I just hope they take after me - we don't need another Winterthorn."

Ivyshadow laughed, "True that."

Despite her sister's words, Snowfall turned to stare at her mate again, nothing but affection in her eyes. Then Snowfall's ears perked, glaring back at Ivyshadow, "Now that we're on the subject... when will we have little Runningmouse's wandering the camp?"

Ivyshadow's ears turned scarlet, "Snowfall! We aren't- I-"

"You aren't what?" Runningmouse's meow was suddenly behind her.

Ivyshadow whirled around, promptly tripping over her own paws. Runningmouse ducked down, catching her with his flank. He grinned, his nose inches from hers, "careful."