Chapter 48

❄️

The desert was as hot as usual.

The scorching sun, the heated sand, and the sound of the gusting winds poured into your ears as you laid down at an oasis, trying to cool off.

Ever since you returned to Sumeru, your fevers had been going on and off. It was crazy how much your body adapted to the sheer temperatures of the Fortress, especially after being locked away in that ice box.

You sighed, trying to cool off before you would return to your troupe. You had been quite busy as of late— and by busy, you were constantly fighting off enemies and taking on various jobs of your interest.

You kicked your leg over the other, squinting up at the blue sky.

"..."

That soft color...

"...Wr—"

"Got a minute?"

Your thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. You turned your head over to look at the girl smiling down at you.

"Damn, your stealth gets better and better every day, Dehya."

The girl laughed and placed her hands on her hips. "I was planning on startling you, but you looked too out of it to even notice me anyways."

"Nah, I'm alright." You responded.

"You sure?"

Dehya sat next to you, loosening her ponytail that sat upon her head. She propped her arm over her leg, staring down at the crystal clear water in front of you.

"Do I not sound sure?" You asked.

"Not at all." She said. "The sun doesn't set for a few more hours, yet here you are, doing nothing. That's not like you."

You smirked and closed your eyes. "You read me like a book."

She laughed before speaking once again. "...You know, ever since you came back, nothing has changed."

You looked back at her, raising a brow. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Everything remained the same after you left, and everything remained the same after you came back."

"...Are you saying I'm not needed?" You asked.

"Not at all." The wind caused her hair to blow past her shoulders, hiding her face. "Of course everyone missed you, including me. But we didn't struggle without you."

"..." You remained silent, getting a slight grasp on where she was heading with this conversation.

"You got a name for yourself here. But do you have a name for yourself over there?"

Her question caused you to freeze.

A name... for myself in Fontaine?