Chapter 26

❄️

"Is he okay?"

You looked at Avice with a worried face.

She shook and nodded her head frantically. "He's... alive. But Miss Sigewinne doesn't know if he'll wake up..."

You sighed. "He'll be alright. Sigewinne knows what she's doing."

She tried to take in your comforting words, but even you knew they were nothing but hopeless thoughts.

"How's the Fortress holding up?" You tried to divert the conversation.

"For now, it's stable. I believe the Duke handled it." She took a deep breath. "I fear it won't be long before the prophecy takes place..."

Just as you were going to respond, a heavy shake vibrated through the Fortress. Your jaw clenched as you tried to remain still, telling Avice to do the same.

A couple of seconds later, it stopped.

"...The hell was that?" You looked up, seeing the ceiling leak.

Avice whined in fear. "I... need to go check on Faissolle...!"

She ran off, leaving you alone. You sighed, trying to make sense of what had just happened.

Was it an earthquake? A tremor?

Nervously, you decided to leave out of the dormitories. You rushed over to the production zone, hoping to find Wriothesley.

"Halt." A Garde stopped you in your tracks. "This area is currently off limits."

"Huh?" You looked up at him, furrowing your brows. "Why?"

"That is confidential. You should either return to the top level or back to your dorm." He stated.

As you were going to protest, you heard a loud clank coming directly above your head.

You looked up to see a large metal gear falling right towards you.

The Garde didn't notice in time, and because of this, you shoved him away, causing him to fall backwards and roll around.

You brought your arm up, ready to take the impact of the mechanic.

It fell onto your body, causing the ground to shake.

The Garde stood up frantically, looking down at the gear.

Others around the scene approached, their mouths agape at what had just happened.

You grit your teeth, pushing the heavy gear off of you.

Groaning, you kneeled over on the ground, looking up to make sure the Garde was alright.

He quickly supported you up, while you swayed your hand around to clear off the dust from your line of sight.

"H-Hey! You could have gotten seriously hurt from pulling a stunt like that!" The Garde examined you for injuries.

"You thought I was just gonna stand there and watch you get smushed from this thing?" You said.

He huffed, but since you were unscathed, he didn't argue. "...Thanks."

"...Where's Wrio— The Duke?" You asked.

"He's currently dealing with the leak." The Garde replied. "We've managed to keep it under control, for now."

You sighed. "I need to see him."

The Garde looked at you as if you were insane. "...For?"

You bit your lip, trying to think of an excuse. "He needs to go to the, uh... infirmary."

"He's already been there." The Garde said.

You gave up, not wanting to go back and forth with him. "Fine. At least tell him I was looking for him."

"...Alright, considering you saved me..."

You turned on your heel and walked off to the Pankration Ring.

"Evening, Miss Y/N." The worker waved to you.

"Evening. Any open slots?" You asked while looking at the bulletin board.

"There's one available right now. I can sign your name and everyone will place their bets."

You nodded, signing your signature onto the form and going towards the warm up area.

It's been a while since you've had a chance to properly fight with someone. Considering that you've been through hell, it would be good to stretch and get back in shape.

You did some simple stretches, feeling your spine and other joints crack. Next, you did a few punches and jabs, trying to make sure you haven't forgotten your style. Finally, you finished off with a few kicks and moves.

"Alright, everyone has placed their bets. You'll be going up against Nizami." The worker said.

"...Nizami?" You looked back at him. "...What is he doing here?"

"You know him?" The worker asked.

"...Yeah. From the desert." You replied.

"He isn't a prisoner here or anything. He's just serving as someone's body guard."

You tilted your head. "Body guard? Since when was he interested in that..."

"...Y/N?"

Both you and the worker turned to face Nizami. Although his eyes were covered, he looked straight down at you, a smile creeping at his lips.

You giggled. "Well, well, well. Looks like I finally get to have my rematch with you."

He chuckled in response. "I can say the same. How's your father holding up?"

You rolled your eyes. "Stubborn, as always."

"I'm surprised to see you here, though. What did you do?" He crossed his arms.

"You know those robot guards? Well, when I got here, I thought they were enemies like in the desert and just ended up finishing off a handful of them. Apparently, this weird nation monitors those things. So, I got arrested and sent here." You briefly explained.

"Ah." He laughed. "Still the same fireball I've known since you were this size." He placed his hand down below his waist, making you giggle.

"...Sorry to interrupt, but are the two of you ready?" The worker hesitantly asked.

"Yeah, sorry. This girl here is like family to me. It's been a while." He said.

You nodded. "Let's go, then. I wanna see if I can finally kick your ass after all these years."

He laughed out loud. "You sound just like your dad."