Chapter 34

❄️

Wriothesley picked up the ring from the box, holding it gently. Your mouth fell agape at the sight of it, making your body and mind freeze.

"...What do you say?" He smiled. "Wouldn't that be nice?"

You blinked. "Wriothesley... I can't... stay here..."

"Hm? Why not?" He asked.

You shook your head. "Fontaine is not my home... the desert is... I can't just leave that all behind for someone I barely know..."

Wriothesley placed his hand on your hip, making you flinch. "That's why we can spend all the time in the world getting to know each other."

Your mouth became dry. Of course you had feelings for him, and you also wanted to be with him, but this 'proposal' of sorts... it was all too sudden.

"...No." You removed yourself from his body, taking a step back from him. "...I can't."

"...You can't?" Wriothesley frowned, watching you drop the box from your hand. "...Or you won't?"

You felt yourself shaking. "...Wriothesley, I like you, I do... but we've only been talking for like, two months. I can't just..."

"...I know this is sudden, but at least think about it." He laughed. "This ring was expensive as hell."

"...No one asked you to buy it." You furrowed your brows.

A moment of silence was shared between the two of you. Although it was quiet, you swore the silence was as loud as gunfire.

Wriothesley's gaze lowered. That cold and dark state came about his face as he frowned at you.

"...So you're just going to leave?"

His pupils got smaller.

Your heart dropped.

"...I was always going to leave when my sentence was over..."

You watched his fist ball. "...Then you're just like them."

"...Them?" You took another step back, looking at the door.

You felt his stare pierce through your body.

"Come here."

You remained frozen in place.

"...Come. Here."

Standing your ground, you felt the atmosphere grow tense.

"...GET THE FUCK OVER HERE."

You flinched as he yelled at you. His expression was crazy looking, while his hands started shaking.

You had never seen him in this state before, nor had you ever heard him yell... at least not at you.

You breathed heavily as he realized how he reacted.

Your eyes widened as he started shaking his head.

"...I'm sorry— I didn't mean to yell... I'm sorry..." He looked at you with pleading eyes.

Wriothesley was always a calm and composed individual. No matter how stressful or dire a situation was, he kept his cool and grazed through it. You knew at times that it would seem like he was a completely different person, or that his personality would flip, but he was still, at the end of the day, Wriothesley.

But whoever this person was now...

...was not the Wriothesley you knew.

He smiled through his shaking breath as he walked over to you. Your back met with the wall while countless amounts of fear drizzled into your body.

He smiled down at you, still breathing heavily. He brought up his hand to your cheek, letting his thumb caress it.

His other hand brought your wrist up as he held it tightly. You flinched at his movements while he kissed your forehead.

"...I'm sorry..." He gave you another crazy smile, trying to soften his expression.

You made eye contact with him, utterly scared of what was happening.

"You didn't mean it, right?" He spoke.

You felt a cold substance forming around your wrist.

You hadn't realized how tightly he was gripping it.

"You didn't mean to say you were going to leave me." He sighed and kissed your lips. "It's alright. I forgive you."

You stared at him, trying to make sense of his gaslighting.

His grip on your wrist grew even tighter as you felt your healed bone start to crack.

You flinched at the pain, but he didn't let his grip loose.

"How about some tea to calm you down?" He said. "And then we can—"

With your free hand, you brought it up and delivered a cold slap to his face.

He took it, letting his face fall to the ground.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" You yelled in a shaky breath.

You felt your wrist snap. You winced, seeing how your arm was getting frozen over.

Wriothesley only moved his eyes up to look at you.

With that, your fight or flight response was activated, and you punched him in his stomach, allowing his grip to loosen up.

You pushed him off of you, running out of his bedroom.

You flew down the stairs and forced his door open. Panting with fear, you sprinted all the way across the Fortress, trying to escape the memory of his death glare.

As you were running, you ran straight into Sigewinne.

You tripped over her tiny body, panting and coughing from the impact.

"...Y/N?! What on—"

"Sigewinne!" You sat up, looking at her with crazy eyes. "Wriothesley—! He... He's fucking...!"

Sigewinne watched you turn into a panic as she rushed to your side.

"C-Calm down! Come on, let's go to the infirmary! Can you stand?"

You shook and nodded your head as you fell deeper into panic.

A Garde noticed and rushed over.

"She's having a panic attack! Please, help me get her to the infirmary!"

You felt your body being hoisted up while you started hyperventilating.

The only thought you could process was Wriothesley's voice.

And that caused you more terror than you could even imagine.