27

Pov of Kai
————————————————————

We must not have gotten very far on foot because it was still about an hour of flying after shichirou had picked me up before any major structures came into view.
He had told me we were supposed to be going to a school- but when shichirou landed at the edge of a small tree line bordering a barren field I thought this seemed like a poor place to put a school.
More than anything right now I was just glad I could finally touch the earth again.
Looking out past the cracked clay what I saw looked less like a school and much more like a mid evil castle.
The place was intimidating, downright eerie too. Miles high, with pointed towers, and windows everywhere set in pale brick walls. The only color to the building was the dark purple in the roof tiles and stained windows.
Around the place a fence followed the entire perimeter. black iron bars tipped with spikes marked the change from dead earth to manicured green gardens.
aside from the grass itself many of the trees and shrubs on the property seemed to be struggling or wilted but it was all the same a place unlike anything I'd seen up close before.

There was no way this could be just a school, right?

it was excessive yes, but it did make sense now why shichirou would call it secure.
I hadn't realized but he was writing in the notebook, and looking uncertain again.

He handed over the book and as I began to read it he started speaking quietly. Hopefully whatever was written would explain what he said.

S: before we go into the building there's a few things that need to happen-
I'm going to use an illusion so you don't look like death, and so people don't feel a need to approach you or ask as many questions.
since you don't know the language yet it's best you steer clear of others.
Bloodline magic can be hard to plan around too especially since it's quite good for finding secrets.
I'm going to go inside and get a visitors band and warding glasses just in case, but after that I'll come straight back here.
Just wait, I won't take any more then 20 minutes. I swear it.

I finished reading a few moments after the "illusion" was cast.
I still looked like myself, but without any of the damage.
It felt strange, like a layer of dust that barely touched the skin. I did my best not to mess it up though I didn't know if that was possible.
shichirou looked over the book and tapped the word "wait" as if for good measure.
when he seemed sure I got the idea he flew right for the school in a burst of speed.
...as much as I didn't enjoy the flying I might have been jealous of the option. What human didn't at least think of having wings at some point?

I didn't doubt that shichirou would come back, but I was still feeling anxious especially after the warnings and all the precautions being taken...
It was about 15 minutes before I heard anyone, but to my dismay the sound was a rustling of brush from behind me, rather than the direction of the school.
I wasn't sure how many surprises I could take in a day before I stopped acting normal but I was feeling my limits nearing.
I stood in a stumbling hurry grabbing my bat and my bag off the ground, and no sooner then that my eyes locked with a large hyena, massive boars tusks and long tufts of black fur ran down its sloped spine and- I stopped paying attention to its looks after that because it was charging right at me!
I couldn't get myself out of the way so I had to make due. As the hyenas jaw unhinged I shoved my bag into its face and let my poor belongings take the blow for me.
Mad felt like an understatement, this thing was pissed like it was personal.
It was like I was playing tug of war with my bag as it was yanked to a fro, snapping at fingers and feigning for limbs.
My bag was quickly shredding, tusks caught in the straps. I was afraid to let go so instead I was dragged all through the dirt. I hadn't even figured out what I was going to do about it when a blur of a figure tackled the hyena right to the ground yelling and wrestling the beast as I did my best to get back quickly.
I didn't know if I could get a good hit in or not but I wasn't gonna wait for that thing to get back up.
I raised my bat, doing my best not to risk hitting the complete stranger who had seemingly helped me out, but before I could bring my weapon down it was stopped.
Shichirou had come back in great time, but had grabbed the lower half of the bat to keep me from swinging.
...for what?

Pov of shichirou:

If I had gotten back any later I think the whole lot of us would have been sorry. If this was a student from the school I didn't recognize him, but it was in my job description not to let students be hurt- even if they had lost control of their familiar.
If Kai attacked a familiar, then it's counterpart would also be hurt. Unfortunately most people couldn't tell the difference between familiars and wild animals unless they saw the summoning, so it wasn't surprising how kai had reacted, but right now what mattered was diffusing this situation and sending away the familiar.
First things first, I yelled to the boy, who barely noticed over the growling, thrashing, dust up,
Do you still have your summoning seal?

The boy sounded desperate as he answered back.
Yes! I have it but I can't let rusty go or he's going to keep on fighting!

It's alright I called again,
let go and get to your summoning seal. tear it quickly, you don't have to worry about Rusty.

The boy gave only a moments notice before releasing the creature. Just don't hurt him! He yelled and began rifling through his pockets.
despite my proximity it was Kai that the familiar charged for. I'd had a suspicion that would be the case but that probably meant that in some way Kai didn't seem demon enough to go unnoticed...
Still mid charge I yanked the hyena off it's path and before it could even attempt to bite me it began to dissipate. 
The seal was destroyed.
I was just glad that hadn't gone as bad as it could've-

Of course this wasn't something I could just let be, so subtly I nodded for Kai to leave the scene- and began questioning the "student" the moment she had caught on.

S: Alright, who was supposed to be supervising you, what's your name?

E: uhh, sorry about rusty... I'm En. I swear I thought I had better control over him than that-
Am I in a lot of trouble?

S: how much trouble your in depends on whether or not you're here with a class. I asked about your supervisor but I don't see a uniform, are you a student here?

E: no... I'm not a student. I came here to practice but I thought it would be empty during summer...

S: so, you don't even have permission to be here? I hope you know that's called trespassing. En you're in trouble alright but theres worse punishments out there.
I'll make this simple, because I can see this was an error of judgement, rather then an act of malice.
I'm kicking you off the premises today but next time you want to call rusty go ahead and walk down to the main office and tell them you need a visitors badge, and request that balam oversees your visit. That shouldn't be too difficult. You won't have a repeat incident if you do but until then, shoo- and have a nice evening.

E: o-okay I'll do all of that, thanks for not getting mad!

I watched en nervously head off the premises, and hoped he'd follow through with what I told him. Normally I wouldn't have handled a situation like this- I'd have been thorough, or at least walked to the edge of the property with the person I was kicking out- but I just couldn't let this drag on any longer, I was in a hurry and I was busy helping Kai- who I finally could look around for, and saw brushing off dust just a few yards away.
It was already becoming a bit cumbersome needing to write so often but I got out the notebook anyway.
Sorry about that, there's going to be plenty of time to talk later but we can go ahead now...

————————————————————
Author time

It took me a lot of time and thought to write this chapter, and there's a lot of major places where I can branch the story and start getting confused about my consistency, I've made one mistake in a previous chapter already but I plan to correct it later. My updates will probably slow down now but don't worry, if I really do stop writing I won't just vanish I'll say I'm done
I'm still plenty fine writing so there should be plenty of updates to come.
Thanks for reading!