14

Chapter contains graphic description
—————-—————-—————-————

As I left behind the wall, the gang, and the guards I kept going for somewhere between 20-30 minutes. Long enough that my adrenaline was starting to wear off and the spiking tearing pain in my right leg was becoming apparent.
The woozy sensation I had made it hard to think right, on top of that the portal had given me a horrific headache comparable to the pain in my leg. I could barely even breathe let alone gauge situation but as I turned to look in the direction I'd come from I realized there was a trail of blood... that certainly explained why I was so woozy. But It also meant that even though I hadn't gotten as far from the chaos as I wanted, I still needed to stop and do something about the injury.

Kai didn't carry a first aid kit, and she didn't have time to be thorough, but she did know enough about stopping the bleeding to have an idea of what to use instead. Kai untied the second coat (the one she normally had wrapped over her waist as a spare) and as neatly as she could started to fold it narrow and flat leaving the sleeves out. She wasn't going to use any water cleaning the bite right now though she recognized it was frowned upon not to.
straight away she pulled the coat over the bite and tied the sleeves tight around it and over the wound.
There was this sort of saying Kai remembered.
"Seeing a wound makes it feel worse"
And well, It was true. and on top of that she was going to have to be her own doctor. This was going to hard to do but it needed to be tied tight especially because she needed to keep moving.
Over and over, Teary eyed fidgeting and red in the face, it took Kai several minutes and multiple attempts to make herself tie it right- at which point she didn't even want to think of walking. she had to force herself onto her feet again and as she stood up, holding her breath she started forward.
Right now, She cursed at herself and at everyone she'd seen today. Hurt was a massive understatement.
Kai's each step felt like having sharpened wooden pencils twisted and jabbed up into the nerves and muscles, splitting and pushing flesh away from itself and leaving aching shooting splinters everywhere. It was horrific but despite all of it kai kept going. Right now it was her leg but if she stayed it could be her life.
She wasn't going to stop even if it meant walking on glass and hot coals each step of the way. She almost wondered if that would have been easier.

Several Hour's passed and the sky had eventually darkened. Nobody had followed, but she wasn't taking chances.
It was difficult for Kai to see but not nearly as bad as the deep woods around town had been. Right now she could see through low trees up to the stars and on the ground the faint light they left over every kind of unheard of plant there might have been. More then a few had looked unnatural, bright rainbows of color and all kinds of textures. some may not have even been plants at all guessing by how they moved without a breeze.
Kai was not interested in being mauled again or possibly poisoned so even though it caused her to wind and weave and make her own inconvenient path she stayed well clear of everything that could possibly be dangerous. By now it'd been long enough that her leg had gotten uncomfortably numb but it was more bearable and was no longer leaving a blood trail. The wound was struggling to close and had reopened multiple times earlier just by walking, slipping, and stumbling. Kai was definitely ragged but she wouldn't stop. Anyone who could fly would be able to catch up to her easily and she had seen those guards fly. Besides that Anyone with a hound or any tracking skills probably could too. Even greater than that, and far more concerning right now was the faint sound of unknown animals stalking nearby. There was multiple maybe coyote sized but that was all kai could ascertain. There wasn't much running she could do in her crippled state. She instead stayed away from any path too dark to make out and avoided the walks through tall grass where she might fail to see an attacker.
The best she could do was keep her bat tight in hand even knowing she might not be able to swing fast enough to hit anything. It did seem to help discourage the animals from getting closer, but it was slowing her down to be so picky about her path.
It would have to be better safe then sorry even if it was tiring.
To her own peril Kai spent the entire night walking, often using the bat as a cane though it did precious little. by morning she moved at a snails pace, stiff in the joints and limping, but she'd made it and it seemed like the animals had given up and gone away when the sun rose, which was very nice of them.
It was lucky that was the case because kai could not physically continue any further by then. it was the last of her strength that let her climb one of the green leafed dark black trees. she sat and took off her cloak to get her bag. digging through it, She had several bottles of water so she could at least drink and rest for now. She did still have the stolen food stored in her bag but this wasn't enough to last more than a few meals.
She took 1/6, of her current stock to compensate for the blood loss, but worried she'd might not find anything for a while so she left the rest of it alone for the day and did her best to just lay down and rest.
She'd definitely needed it...