19

As the sphinx landed a mere 3 meters from me I couldn't help but sigh, this was terrible news of course, but how many times was I going to have to fight an oversized feline at the disadvantage this week? This place was ridiculous!

As Kai stared the sphinx in its uncomfortably human face she was ready to swing even if she lost. She had already noticed that it was carrying a large branch in its mouth. A ridiculous image honestly, but as the beast dropped it to the grass she figured this was probably going to be the last thing she saw.

Interestingly it was not. Instead she next saw the sphinx push the branch forward- (with rather poor coordination.)
It... sort of seemed like the sphinx might be intelligent. Sentient even- the look on its face, now that I was standing here, was surprisingly readable. I was obviously meant to pick up the branch, though I hesitated to even breathe right now...
The sphinx seemed to grow impatient as I wasted minutes staring, but rather then anything I expected-
it stood a backed a few feet away. Huh.
I took a step forward, and a few more when nothing happened, and picked up the branch. Small pear shaped fruits with bright yellow speckles grew beneath its leaves. They did not look inviting, but the sphinx had specifically brought them to me... so what else was there to do? I tried one.
And it was good, great even, it was overly sweet but something a bit like chocolate? That was a nice surprise. The sphinx seemed satisfied with my compliance and simply stood as if to say everything was settled now.
I hadn't forgiven being attacked first thing in the morning but if it never happened again I just might.
to my concern, as I eventually moved on, so to did my new self proclaimed companion the sphinx, who seemed to growl at nothing and mumble in words I didn't understand. Definitely sentient. And creepy. But even by the time I had collected the fruit and left the branch behind it followed. When I stopped to rest it would hide in the trees or claw at their trunks, an otherwise a passive observer.

I was struggling today, and even by midafternoon I had hardly made any progress. I felt pathetic. I knew I looked the part, limping around in tatters like I'd been hit by a car.
I'd just have to accept it and keep moving.

Out of nowhere the sphinx suddenly urged me to change direction seemingly to no purpose- I felt I had no option. It got in my path, intimidated and growled at me. Whatever the reason speed seemed to become a necessity, as I was practically shoved through the woods I stumbled and grew anxious of my destination. It was distracting enough having the sphinx pushing me around that I almost didn't notice what came next.

Partially obscured by the trees, the foliage, and by their own position, I only just saw an actual person, a few meters away kneeling over several large flowering brambles.
No cloak- they faced away from myself and my incessant follower who only just now paused. They had Long white hair and wore purple and green. they periodically reached into a large satchel beside them, and luckily they hadn't seen me yet.
Why had I been lead here? I didn't seem to be expected, and I didn't recognize anything about this stranger that was for sure.
Apparently the sphinx had her own plans in mind because in the next moment she gave a deep roar, one that caught the attention of the stranger, but was directed at me.

————————————————————
Ok everyone its happening ! Stay calm It's happening we have another character! Next chapter we're going to get a perspective that isnt Kai ! Just mentioning it so you don't get confused. You guys were probably getting sick of a one man band but ha, now there's 2. And you know what? I might even have other characters planned! Diabolical I know.