26

Chapter contains blood.
————————————————————

Pov of Kai

As I started to back away from the brutish sphinx -who had just killed 2 demons- and it seemed to take offense.
It gave a low snarl, aimed at me and shichirou, who was close by, and I nearly fell over myself to try and bolt off. Try being the key word here, I would have ran without question if it weren't for shichirou- who without warning snagged my shoulder to stop me where I was.
I didn't know if he stood much of a better chance in this situation than the last 2 demons but I could guess he knew more about how his own world worked than me at least.
Maybe it was the right choice to stay put for now but I still was still tense enough to shatter.

Despite everything, he now looked unfazed.
surprising since I hadn't missed the moment of panic in the eyes of the entire group when the sphinx had first arrived.
He stared it right in the face and after a few seconds, when there was no further action on the part of the feathered menace, he spoke to it calmly.
I had no clue what either of them said, but what bothered me most was how the sphinx seemed to be awfully focused on me...
after a bit more dialogue shichiro turned to face me-
I only realized right then it was the arm he'd grabbed on to that had been sliced by the now crushed demon.
I had forgotten the cut in moments but despite still feeling a burning sensation, with safety in question It hardly stood out now.
I could see some of my own blood slowly beginning to seep onto his gloved hand. He gave my other shoulder a light pat (which may have been an apologetic gesture) and let go, then to my surprise, reached out and touched one of the sphinxs burns with the bloodied hand.
Like yesterday morning the sphinx seemed to heal, to perfect looking condition.
Unfair! Why heal a threat?
whether or not this was genuine healing magic I had no clue, but I wished it hadn't been done. Like before the sphinx could turn aggressive again without any warning, and I didn't feel stupid enough to hand out trust just because shichirou could talk with it!

When the sphinx was fully healed it bestowed a few words in singsong, and then- before leaving, stole a bag from a slain demon and left. No further issues... aside from that both myself and shichirou had just been in a fight and were both bleeding.
Although not quite as serious as what happened to the 2 growing cold on the dirt and grass nearby it was best to just get the first aid kit back out.

A few bandages were used and When the sphinx had gone far out of sight, and shichirou seemed to stop watching the tree line I could see that even if it had been stressful, standing ground and keeping calm had been the correct answer, or at least a good solution.
Any answer to an issue that didn't end in death or injury was acceptable to me at least.
I got ahold of the notebook in a hurry, desperate to ask what had happened, and started writing the second I found a clear page.

K: what did the sphinx say to you? Why did you heal it? Why did it attack? What happens to the body's now?
While I'm at it where exactly are we supposed to be going next?

S: a lot just happened, I understand so I'll explain it for you, but we shouldn't loiter here longer than we have to.
The sphinx attacked the trappers, she wasn't here for us. When you panicked she did too, that's why I had to stop you. I didn't ask her but if I had to guess she must've worried you were with the trappers.
Afterwards she asked for blood, and gave me a poem riddle. It's not long so I'll write it too.

3 down one still unfound,
they are quite, and unsound.
Their traps will snap, step back and go,
You may enter here but never stay,
this is the center of the place you cannot play...

-essentially We've been asked to leave for now, and the sphinx is saying she'll handle the last hunter in the area and the rest of the traps alone. I don't doubt that she means it so I think it's best we get flying soon. I'm quite confident she can handle it anyways, especially after that display.
I can explain the magic you saw later but we're going to leave the bodies here and go straight to a school that I teach at. It may not sound the best right now and I'm not entirely confident about it but it is secure and most of the building is out of use during the summer months so I think it may work as a temporary placement for you.

I picked up the pencil but didn't get a chance to respond or ask any other questions because as soon as I put the lead down on the page he took it and the book, and placed them in his satchel.
With little warning he lifted me off the ground and over his shoulder like a sack and I got to see one of his previous claims proven.
A pair of long white feathered wings sprang from between his shoulder blades. I didn't think I'd seen feathered wings on a demon before but I hadn't seen very many, so I was likely biased.

he took off from the ground in only a few steps and went straight for the top of the trees. A warning beforehand would have been great! but naturally that made too much sense. I had a white knuckled, claw-like grip on his shoulder, and felt I may even sprain a knuckle or two if I kept it up.
If I hadn't been so completely startled I might have screamed, but I was petrified so instead I went mute and grew pale.

What was there to do but look at the growing distance between me and the ground? If I wasn't so against heights it might have been very nice seeing the forest in the massive swath of land it covered, but I could hardly stand to keep my eyes open right now.
I tried to distract myself by thinking about my destination but I had no idea what to expect.

...why in the world would a school be a good place to go? Or a "secure" place at that? What was some random teacher doing fighting demons in a forest??
The questions would just have to wait.
I only hoped this turned out better than I expected it to...