𝑋𝑉. "The Descent"

One month had passed. There wasn't much time left, so you gathered your savings in search of your new equipment and as if fate called it, you found the right place, quite far from the tavern and the town centre...dangerous men gathered there, but you paid no attention to them, not when you were hidden in a cloak.

Without knowing it, you were returning to your old, dark pact and when you laid hands on your new sword, adrenaline coursed through your veins, as if to remember your dexterity with it.

You wondered if it also reached the baby's blood...but shook your head and put the rest of your stuff in a big bag to head back, before the sun set over the city.

As you had calculated, Guts hadn't returned to the inn yet. After a long breath, you knocked on the door and to welcome you, there was the smile of Noelia's father.

«How can I help you, my dear?» He was just as kind as his daughter, but because of what you had to do, you didn't dare ask her for help. Not this time.

«I need one of your horses. What's the fastest you have?» You got straight to the point without worrying about what he would think, but the old man just thought about your request and headed towards the stable.

«I understand. What time do you prefer it to be ready?»

With what you were carrying on your shoulders, he didn't need to know why, but was surprised it was just one, and not two.

«Tonight.» You had to leave before dawn and the older man nodded silently «I've some things to fix...don't say anything to Noelia, nor Guts.»

Although your actions sounded inexplicable, he didn't dare judge and gently, placed a hand on your shoulder in understanding.

«Whatever it is, seems to be very important to you...you have my word, Y/n.»

You were relieved to be able to count on him, even if he would do it behind his daughter's back; it wouldn't be the same for Guts and most likely, he would chase you to bring you back...

But, as you went down the stairs, you heard the swordsman's voice a few steps from you.

«...I don't care if she hates me. I can't tell it.» Guts wasn't alone apparently, but in the company of someone who wasn't in your line of sight.

Was he talking about you? If so, he was hiding something from you and couldn't help but listen to the conversation go on to find out what it was.

Until Puck came at high speed, making your ears ring with his flapping wings and deafening voice.

«Y/nnn~ What are you doing here–»

«Lower your voice!» You whispered and the flying elf covered his mouth with both hands, before looking towards the subject you were studying.

«Oooh I see, you're secretly spying on Guts, huh?» He smiled like an idiot, but you continued to stare at the man, this time walking away on his behalf with a composed attitude «Why don't you go to him, no doubt he's looking for ya!»

You stared at his genuine smile, ready to rip it away with your words.

«There's something you need to know...» You said firmly, causing Puck to become very confused and scared «But I can't do this alone. I need your help, because he won't have to know about it.»

You knew he wouldn't take it well, but to make your plan work, you had to tell the whole truth.

«P-pregnant?!?» Instantly, Puck recovered and flew towards your belly to eavesdrop on it «Aaah you're right, there's someone in here and you can't go anywhere in these conditions, Y/n!»