Prologue

“The last time I saw you, you were a baby. I thought you were the most beautiful child in the universe. Sixteen years later you are even more gorgeous. Marry me?”

He paused, looking into my eyes before continuing “Don’t worry; you don’t have to answer me now, by the rules of our country I have to allow you the chance to make up your mind. Will a year to complete your schooling be sufficient?”

I was frozen on the spot. This just doesn’t happen to people like me.

And with that he turned to walk out of the house. As he put his hand on the doorknob though he turned and smiled at me like I was the only one around. "Oh and happy birthday."

That was what happened five minutes ago. Five minutes ago I was proposed to by Mr Nicholas Green.

Maybe I should go back to the beginning. My name is Anna Elizabeth Brown and today, the 8th of October, I turn sixteen years old. I live in the scenic yet strange country of Alyssa, we have some weird customs. Including a girl having to be allowed time to answer to a proposal. And a girl’s parents choosing the man who may propose.

Today was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. I’m officially a woman by Alyssa’s laws - I can drive, I can move out and I would be able to work. That is if it wasn’t the start of my final year of high school... but as soon as I graduate I get to live my dream of being a famous fashion designer. Well I would... if Mr Tall, Dark, and Mysterious hadn’t shown up at my door interrupting my birthday pamper day with the girls from school.