~Chapter 9~

Lyla jumped and slid down under the blankets as the door banged open, waking me from a pleasant dream of sun and sand. She made a purring sound and nuzzled my arm in an affectionate gesture. Turns out my dragon wasn't a morning girl either.  Lucy erupted into the room like a firecracker. 

"How in the world can you still be in bed with everything going on?" Pulling the pillow over my head in protest I groaned into my pillow.

"Why aren't you still in bed considering we never went to sleep until like 3 hours ago?" I scratched Lyla on the head in gentle acknowledgment, we were in the same boat. When I touched her my fingers glowed with the connection and I felt the surge of her happiness. It pulled at my heart strings when I tuned into Lucy's ranting as it spread though out my chest.

"Now security for the school has been upped and I'm honestly surprised that you even got back in the room last night at all. Brooks has called a meeting in the Hall and everyone is required to attend." I sat up quickly and glared at her. My hair falling into my face as a mess of a bun slipped down my head.

"Wait, repeat please?" I asked pushing my hair out of my face so I could see her clearly.

"No time, get dressed we're going be late." Lucy informed exasperated and sashayed into the hallway and down the corridor. Evie's face peered around the corner and grinned. As she checked to see if I was awake yet.

"I see you got the rude awakening, as well? Glad it wasn't just me." Her and Rogue slipped past the doorway and down towards breakfast. I still don't know how she managed to look so put together with the same amount of sleep that I had. 

I wish I would have paid attention to Lucy, apparently it was all over the school and I had no idea what the buzz was about. Everybody talked in hushed tones until I entered the Hall from the side entrance. Evie and Christian were standing in a circle listening to Dylan talk animatedly near one of the pillars. The room was now filled to capacity with students and dragons alike. 

Brooks descended the stairs from the upper level slowly. Upon reaching the landing he stepped up to the top of the stairs and cleared his throat to get the rooms attention. Other teaches stood behind him in a formed line, silent like soldiers. The room quieted to a hush as we waited for his firm voice to fill the silence. 

"As I'm sure all of you now know that there was an incident here last night. That is precisely why I have gathered you here this morning. There was an attempted theft last night. The book of Dragon Fire case was broken in to. The culprit unfortunately was not apprehended. " The room erupted into a shocked wave of muttering as the students expressed their alarm. Just as astonished I watched at he raised his hand to the group and the noise again dwindled. 

"We have moved the book for safe keeping and it will remain locked away until we've gotten to the bottom of this travesty. Security will be tightened and everyone will be required to be in there dorm rooms by curfew. No exceptions. Anyone who has any information regarding the attempted theft is expected to come forward at once! Please enjoy the rest of your day." With this he dismissed the throng of students and turned mumbling low to the teachers who bobbed their head in agreement. The students filed out in bunches, the excitement of what happened still lingering on their tongues. 

Someone tried to swipe the Book of Dragon Fire!? My mind went haywire. Who would want to steal a book? I thought back to the dragon choosing and the conversation i had heard in the shadows of the catacomb corridor. Could that have been what that secret conversation was about? Should i tell someone? I could feel the sudden panic set in as i realized that i probably knew something that i shouldn't. It was all i could think about walking to Intro to Magical Properties.