"Anastasia is perceptive. Tread lightly in your discourse with her. She'll relay every word to Lavyrle. The council is aware you're not Aldaire's consort, so Lavyrle might tread with caution, knowing you're within these walls."

"Does she harbor any weaknesses? Perhaps chocolate?"

"She's not one for idle chatter. Even Stefani struggles to engage her. Not that she exerts much effort."

As foretold, the palace is devoid of men. Himley and I navigate our way to a grand chamber where the shower is in full swing. Emma spots me instantly. She raises her goblet in my direction and takes a hearty swig. Stefani and a group of unfamiliar women are engrossed in a game of poker.

"How do you find my veil!" Emma approaches us.

I scrutinize the white fabric cascading from her head, adorned with a delicate floral crown.

"You look radiant."

Emma twirls, her laughter echoing through the chamber. It's clear she's indulged in a few libations.

"What purpose does the veil serve?" I inquire, puzzled. Is it not reserved for the wedding ceremony?

"Each lady here will tear a piece from my veil. The one with the largest fragment will be the next to wed."

I snort. A quaint tradition, but not without its charm.

I wave my hand dismissively. "No thanks."

"Your sister-in-law is a bore, Himley. Let's ply her with drinks. Maybe she'll loosen up a bit."

Himley concurs and soon returns with a glass. The liquid burns as it courses down my throat. I recognize Anastasia even before our formal introduction. Her elegant attire makes her easy to spot amidst the revelry.

Emma rejoins the ladies at the poker table, eagerly awaiting her turn. I stand behind Himley, who's also joined the game.

"I apologize for my earlier outburst," Stefani concedes, pushing the poker chips towards Himley who had just won. "I'm grateful Aldaire talked some sense into me. Things could've taken a different turn."

Emma winks at me, her words echoing in my mind. Stefani may be hot-headed, but she's a decent woman. Though her apology lacks conviction, now is not the time to dwell on it.

"Then let's put it behind us."

As suggested, we carry on with the festivities, free from resentment and fear. Not that I'm particularly inclined to, but after a few drinks and several rounds of poker, I'm feeling light-headed.

Anastasia, Emma, and I sway to the rhythm of the music. If Himley is keeping a watchful eye on me or if Stefani is plotting my demise, I'm too inebriated to care. I'm consumed by laughter.

I collapse onto the floor, dizzy, my stomach and cheeks aching. "I need some air," I announce, rising unsteadily and making my way to the balcony.

"I'll accompany you," Anastasia offers.

I'm relieved. I yearn for a moment alone with her. Even in my current state, I'm prepared for one mission. Lavyrle's downfall is imminent. Hopefully, before my own.

"You are carefree. I didn't realize you could consume so much and still remain upright," she chuckles, wrapping her arms around herself.

She's sober, having abstained from alcohol since my arrival. She's sipping her own infusion.

"I wasn't aware of it myself. What about you? Abstaining?" I shiver. Though the air isn't as chilly as before, there's an eerie sensation that sets my heart pounding.