chapter twelve: home sweet home

Louis nervously adjusted his collar as the train approached Holmes Chapel. He glanced out the window, watching the familiar English countryside roll by. This was the moment he had been waiting for – the chance to visit Harry's hometown and meet his family.

As they stepped off the train, Harry's hand found Louis', offering a reassuring squeeze. "Are you ready for this?" Harry asked, his green eyes filled with anticipation.

Louis nodded, mustering a smile. "As ready as I'll ever be."

They walked hand in hand through the quaint streets of Holmes Chapel, Harry pointing out familiar landmarks and sharing stories from his childhood. Louis listened intently, a warm feeling settling in his chest as he learned more about the place that shaped the man he loved.

Finally, they arrived at Harry's childhood home – a cozy brick house with a garden overflowing with flowers. Louis felt a flutter of nerves as they approached the front door, but Harry's easy smile eased his worries.

"Here we go," Harry said, reaching for the doorbell.

The door swung open, revealing Harry's mum, Anne, standing in the doorway with a bright smile. "Harry! It's so lovely to see you," she exclaimed, pulling him into a tight hug. Her eyes then turned to Louis, and her smile widened. "And you must be Louis. It's wonderful to finally meet you."

Louis felt a wave of relief wash over him as Anne enveloped him in a warm hug. "Thank you for having me," he said, genuinely grateful for her kindness.

Over the next few days, Louis got to know Harry's family – his mum, his stepdad Robin, and his sister Gemma. They welcomed him with open arms, making him feel like part of the family from the moment he arrived.

One evening, as the sun began to set, Harry suggested they take a walk to the park where he used to play as a child. Louis readily agreed, the cool evening air refreshing after a warm day.

As they strolled hand in hand through the park, the memories flooded back for Harry. He pointed out the tree where he used to climb and the bench where he would sit and dream. Louis listened intently, his heart swelling with love for the man beside him.

When they reached a secluded spot overlooking a pond, Harry stopped and turned to face Louis, his eyes shining with emotion. "Louis," he began, his voice barely above a whisper, "this place holds so many memories for me. And now, it holds one more – the moment I ask you to spend the rest of your life with me."

Louis felt his breath catch in his throat as Harry dropped to one knee, a small velvet box appearing in his hand. "Louis Tomlinson, will you marry me?" Harry asked, his voice trembling with emotion.

Tears welled up in Louis' eyes as he nodded, unable to find his voice. Harry's face broke into a wide grin as he slipped the ring onto Louis' finger, sealing their love in the golden light of the setting sun.

And as they stood there, surrounded by the quiet beauty of the park, Louis knew that Holmes Chapel would always hold a special place in his heart – the place where their journey together began.