the question of love

En başından başla

And that was what he was scared of.

That his future would always be controlled by the ghosts of his past.

♡⇐ Sokeefe Love ⇒♡

Keefe walked on the paved paths of their campus, looking around for the blonde girl. It was relatively late in the night, but that didn't stop him from thinking Sophie was still roaming around somewhere. It wasn't only his sleeping schedule that was messed up.

The building towered over him, some windows still illuminated with light, students studying for tests that occupied every alternative week. Keefe couldn't focus on much except his heart, which seemed to crash against his ribcage every time it beat, and his feet, which stomped on the cement of the pathway each time he took a step.

"It's cold." He muttered, wishing that he had taken a jacket.

Keefe swerved in the direction of the gardens, which he had often seen Sophie walk through during her free period. Even at a distance, he could see the beautiful flowers that adorned the bushes and tall arches that were covered with slender vines.

A section of the gardens also included a tall mazed area, the huge green hedges limiting the view of anything behind it. Keefe walked into it, following the pair of voices that he had heard earlier. two people were laughing, one male, another female.

The giggles of the female sounded familiar, and it didn't take long for Keefe to realize one of them was none other than Sophie.

A strange type of giddiness took him over and he shouted, "Foster! I have something to tell you."

There was a yelp of surprise that echoed as Keefe turned the corner, meeting eyes with both figures, who held each other close.

It was Sophie and Fitz.

For a moment, the three students just stood there. Keefe surveyed them, his mouth slightly agape at the position he found them in. Sophie's body was leaning slightly towards Fitz, faces close together. Her hand clutched Fitz's forearm, securely, as if in need of stability. The brunette boy's arm didn't touch Sophie but was outstretched and straight, forming a sort of cage around her body.

"Wait—" Sophie stepped away from Fitz, facing Keefe. "This isn't what it seems like, I promise—"

Keefe's mouth opened and then closed, breathing unevenly distributed and slightly dizzy from the sight before him. His head shook slowly, denying it, denying the reality.

"Don't misunderstand, Keefe." Fitz tried. "Really, Sophie only has feelings for—"

The blonde boy ran away before he could finish. He was too scared, too scared of the endless amount of possibilities that sentence could end with.

"You." The brunette completed.

He looked over at Sophie, who had her hand reaching out for the boy who had run away, trying to get as far as he could from the humility that chased him.

"What are you waiting for, Sophie?" Fitz gently pushed her. "Go."

It was enough encouragement for Sophie to take off sprinting. Twisting her way through the maze, thorns pricked her arm as she turned sharp corners. Once out of the college garden, her eyes darted around, desperate for a glance at the boy.

Keefe, who had just turned the corner, had eyes glazing with tears, nose runny from the emotions held inside. He didn't want to face Sophie just yet, he just wanted to cry.

The air crashed against his skin as he ran through the campus. The same path which he had walked upon, full of hope at the possibility of affirmed reciprocated feelings was now faintly dotted with the tears of rejection. Feet now hitting the pavement in somewhat of a rhythmic pattern, Keefe could hear Sophie calling his name, begging for him to stop.