rings

Sophie scanned her surroundings with pleasure, delighted to have another look at her deceased parents' proposal site. It was a picturesque road, just a few miles west of her mother's house in the thick trees of the forest. The stream of a river brought in a fresh scent as the sound soothed her ears. These woods had a special place in her heart, not only because her parents' marriage was forged here, but because it seemed as though their presence still lived on in the midday air.

What she would do to relive the moment that had filled her parents' reminiscing eyes with a reserved type of delight.

Her heart rampaged with joy at another opportunity to revisit her parents' memories, but it also twisted painfully at the fact that they had been dead for over a decade. Sophie shook the thought away. Her past brought a strange twinge of guilt into her vision, and she didn't want that. Especially today, when she was guiding Keefe through the compact foliage.

It was his idea to browse a hiking trail, but their pursuit had turned to the adventure itself. "You'll have to pay for these shoes, you know." Sophie avoided another mud ditch.

Keefe kicked a pebble aggressively. "How dare you get dirt on my beautiful girlfriend's shoes?" Sophie giggled, just as he turned to her. "Can I repay you with kisses?"

"Preferably not, but if that's the only form of currency..." Sophie trailed off as Keefe cupped her face and started smothering her in kisses.

One on her jaw, one on both of her cheeks, one on her nose, one on her forehead, and a final one in the center of her lips. Sophie ignored her red cheeks and took hold of Keefe's hand. She led him to a clearing in the woods that was free of trees. Flowers conquered this area, their rein breaking loose as they traveled deeper into the forest.

"Can you tell me how your parents proposed?" Keefe asked, seating them against a tree in the middle of the grass.

"I've told you that so many times, you probably memorized it." Sophie laughed.

He shrugged, "I could listen to it for my whole life if that's what makes you happy."

"And I'll repay you in kisses." She noticed the anticipation in his eyes. "Fine, but don't whine when it gets boring."

"It'll never get boring."

"Sure it won't." She took a deep breath. "My dad took my mom here, telling her that they were going to go on a date in the woods. They walked for a bit, enjoying each other's company before they saw this clearing. My dad had already planned for this, and led her to this tree right here."

Sophie stood up, running her hand over the rough bark of the tree. "They told stories to each other, taking turns until the sun had set." Now she realized it, the sun had just dipped below the horizon. "Then, my mom ran through these flowers like this,"

Sophie demonstrated, twirling in the patches of flowers, the light breeze kissing her cheeks. For a moment, she felt like her mother, running through blossoms, clutching her hat when it nearly tipped over. "My mom remembers everything. The scenery, the colors, she captures emotions in a way I never would be able to."

She put her back to Keefe, looking over at the rich green of the trees. "Mother had looked over to the trees when my dad got down on a knee. She never would've realized it if it wasn't for the rustle of the leaves. Then she looked around and saw her knight in shining armor. Dad had made a special ring for her, something unique made of the finest wood." She played with her finger. "The ring was lost soon after I was born, so were my parents." Sophie closed her eyes. "But I still remember what his vow was, something that went along the lines of—"

""I never knew there was someone of such beauty, such a remark that it would catch my interest.""

Sophie smiled, "You remember—"

She was cut short when she saw Keefe on one knee, a polished wooden ring tucked into a velvet box.

""But yet there you were, standing as tall as you were before. I have never wanted to be part of someone else's life more than yours. You hold a special place in my heart, and I hope you never ever rent it out again."" Sophie choked out a laugh.

They were both crying now, their hearts filled with the warmth of her parents above. "Sophie Elizabeth Foster, will you marry me?"