Bureau of Authority

It had been several weeks since Arlo had started his internship at the Bureau of Authority. He was working in the Department of Anti-Corruption, widely considered the least authortitative department in the Bureau, but the place where everyone needs to start in order to get experience.

All Arlo had been tasked to do while he was there was file papers and documents, and other mundane tasks. He constantly reminded his supervisor, Kassandra that he was far too overqualified for what she made him do, but she always reminded him that he needed to be patient.

Today, Arlo was typing out on his keyboard, doing various research about Spectre. Leon, the regional director of all Bureaus in the area, had publicly declared the organization a terrorist organization earlier that day, and ordered all agents in the Anti-Terrorism department to work double-time to find and eliminate them.

The day before, Vaughn had tasked Arlo with giving over the location of a Spectre base to the authorities. He decided now would be a good time to go and give the information to Kassandra.

He got up from his desk and brought with him the map, circled with the location of Spectre's base.

Some time later, he arrived at Kassandra's cubical. "Kass," he said.

"Oh, hey Arlo!" she exclaimed. "Thanks for all the help the other day! I'm actually a bit ahead now!"

"Don't mention it," he replied, crossing his arms.

"So what's going on?" she asked. "Rare of you to come visit me for once!"

"Can I have a word in private?"

The two made their way to the office meeting room, locking the door behind them. Kassandra leaned against the table. "What's up?"

"I read that under specific circumstances, the Bureau is willing to pardon crimes in exchange for information. Is this true?"

"Hm? What are you getting at?"

"I got a tip regarding Spectre."

"And your source?"

"Headmaster Vaughn."

Kassandra's eyes widened. The man she was ordered to take down, the man who was running Wellston into the ground with his administration, had willingly given the Bureau information regarding something that involves a direct attack on his campus. She was certainly not expecting that.

She decided to come back to that topic. "I'm surprised you came to me instead of Val," she said, her curiosity piqued. "Aren't you two close? Plus, she's a part of the Anti-Terrorist department."

"I think it would be a good opportunity for us both to get the promotions we've been seeking," Arlo explained.

Kassandra exhaled a short laugh, smirking amusedly. "Well, if you want this to work, then it depends on the severity of Vaughn's crime—which I can assure you, there is a long list—and how useful their information is." She paused for a moment to let it sink in. "If they don't have anything valuable enough to offer, then I'd suggest letting it go, so that you don't run into any complications later on—"

"He gave me the location to Spectre's hideout," he interrupted.

She hummed excalamatorily. "Well," she muttered. "That certainly is something. Tell me, Arlo, how do you know this isn't a trap?"

"I can't guarantee that completely," he replied. "I trust Vaughn, but his source, I'm not so sure about. I think it's reliable though, since an officer extracted similar information from the source."

Kassandra sighed. "You've got some nerve; a fresh intern, coming in and making a demand this big." She patted him on the shoulder. "Gotta say, I'm impressed."