chapter fourteen

Grief doesn't mix well with other obstacles that come into play. Colette lost her urge to eat or do anything and every time she had to move, she wanted to drop dead. She skipped school for a week straight—going unnoticed by her dad who never really bothered to see if she went to school or not. Instead, he was gone for most of the days until he would return late every night thinking nothing of his daughter.

Colette laid still in her uncleaned sheets, but her thoughts and dreams were restless. Pierce's contact on her phone was still active and was still shown on the top of her contact list as the person she last texted. Emails, texts, and calls were sent to her and Mr. Anderson but neither of them paid attention. Mr. Anderson would if he wanted to, but he was too lazy checking his email and answering calls. Colette's absence seemed to obtain everyone's attention because they never thought she would ever skip school for a week straight. She did all her work and was always busy in school, so it was unusual. Many speculated that she died while others reasoned her absence with the grief. Tears were shed, and if not by Colette the rest of her friends did. But Colette wasn't the only one who didn't go to school.

Hagan and Aero decided to disappear as well while the others that stayed had to stick together.

Colette knew that if she went back to school, she would find an empty desk beside her—unless someone thought it was their right to proclaim it. For now, her classmates spotted two empty desks writhing with sadness and it was terrible for anyone to look at. One even cried out of sympathy for Colette.

The school paid their respects by having an assembly, all but Colette. The funeral happened but Colette wasn't there. Her friends struggled but Colette wasn't there. But because of her absence they accepted that he was forever gone. The two were inseparable and not seeing both of them anymore crushed everyone like the soul of love being taken away from them. No one saw Pierce with anyone until she came, and everyone could see it then. They could see the wonders between them. The invisible thread that tied them both. Soulmates perhaps.

Colette sobbed each time she read the messages Pierce had sent her. The ones she ignored.

He had sent her a paragraph begging for her reply. Begging for an inch of her love from the screen. Begging to see her again. Begging to just talk it out one more. And he apologized for missing school for a few days because he had gotten a fever.

What broke Colette was that Pierce had been sick since Grandma Angel's birthday dinner. She told herself that she failed him. Failing to see him hurting from inside. So why did he drive that day? He was going to go to her house and wait for her. To talk to her. He had even bought a bouquet of flowers just to see her.

If only I replied to his text messages, then he wouldn't have tried to go and see me and get into the stupid fucking accident.

It's all my fault.

It's all my fault.

All mine.

When the police came to Grandma Angel's house after the accident, she knew she would see the face of Pierce under the blank white blanket on the way to the hospital. She knew she lost him because before she was even told. She felt her heart wrenching gut drop as she sat on her couch with the sudden longing for her grandson's presence. And when she called him, he never picked up—which was unusual since he never missed her calls.

Hagan took his grief by fisting a punching bag. He was mad that Pierce was gone. He couldn't believe that one of his best friends left the face of earth—without him. He spent most of his time with him and the others and everyone knew it would no longer be the same. But he knew he had to be strong. Everyone was losing hope, and he knew that if he did too, he would officially lose himself.

Aero stared into his ceiling and cried over and over again. It was to the point where his own parents had to come into his room and attempt to comfort him. They tried to give him food but just like some of the others, he refused to eat. He had a few sips of water from here and there, but he struggled to find the strength to get up. And when he did move, he would only go to the bathroom. And when he sat up, he pretended to talk to Pierce. To him, he couldn't admit that he was mad at Pierce, but he loved him no matter what. They all did.

So, when death's love letter arrived, assisting Pierce's funeral, no one moved as they read it. They dressed up in their black clothing and came with flowers—ready to place on his coffin. Colette brought the bouquet of flowers that the police passed down to Grandma Angel before it was passed to her. The only surviving thing was the bouquet of flowers—which lost a few petals, and the plastic was torn, but they were still there. It was as if Pierce was going to give her the flowers no matter what.

So, they weep as they say their final goodbyes. Grandma Angel had her arm wrapped around Colette's. Everyone kept their eyes on Colette the most. They saw her without any makeup and her simple wavy hair flowing still. They haven't seen or spoken to her in so long that they felt a loss of touch in their reality with her.

As everyone placed their flowers on top of Pierce's coffin, it was Colette's turn, but Grandma Angel came to help her. She held Colette's hand that held the bouquet and gently put it on top—caressing the glazed wood.

"I love you mahal ko," Colette whispered as her tears kept on.

The moment felt unreal, but it made everyone feel the part where they knew that eventually they had to let go of him which scared them. They were afraid that they would forget about Pierce.

"You're with your mom now," Grandma Angel smiled as she sobbed her last goodbye before pressing her hand softly on the coffin.