chapter three

Colette took the bus to Spark's like she always did before. Sometimes even her mom would drop her off.

As Colette sat down on the soft padding of the bus seat, she looked out of the window to her side. She unfocused her eyes and looked at herself from the reflection of the window. She used it to make sure she looked decent—wearing a gray long sleeve shirt and wide black jeans. To top it off, she finally did a slight hair look. She had curled the ends of her hair as well as putting on some thin eyeliner. She'd be lying if she said she didn't feel like she looked 'okay.'

Her arms caressed a small box but inside is an orange dinosaur keychain. Colette remembered Spark's pure smile when Colette's mom had told the girls that they were like small dinosaurs, powerful and fierce no matter the size. She had also remembered Spark's favorite color being orange, although she has no idea if that's changed now.

The bus came to a halt in front of a small convenience store and Colette walked out. Her footsteps lead her around the familiar corner to Spark's neighborhood. She never would have thought she'd ever see her best friend again. Or past best friend. She smiled as she trodden down the sidewalks but it started to lose its magic away as she began to get closer to Spark's house.

What if this is a joke?

Is she playing me?

It's been too long for her to randomly invite me to her birthday party.

What was I thinking saying I can go?

This is utterly ridiculous.

She stopped.

Colette looked at the familiar tall door of the light brown suburban two storied house and then its doorbell. She was so carried on with her own thoughts that she didn't even notice the cars parked on Spark's driveway, one owned by Pierce Webster himself.

What could go wrong?

Her fingers pushed the doorbell as she tried to keep herself composed by inhaling deeply and exhaling softly.

The door opened quickly and soon Colette was face to face with Spark Jane, with the same auburn brown hair as before which reached her waist and her orange floral dress that flowed just right.

She definitely still loves the color orange.

"C-Colette?" Spark whimpered—speechless as her eyes glistened into glass.

"Happy birthday Spark." Colette handed her the box and sent her a nervous smile. Spark looked down at the box and then at her in disbelief. She stared at her for a few long seconds until she finally rushed out and gave her a hug. Colette looked down over her shoulder, accepting her hug and squeezed her back.

When they finally stopped their embrace, the two girls sniffled.

"Are you sure I'm allowed to be here?" Colette asked, making sure her parents wouldn't come out with a knife searching for her dad.

"Yes. But I didn't tell my parents. They're out working and they said I could invite friends over. They won't be home until 11." Colette nodded her head. Spark grabbed her wrist and pulled her inside.

"I missed you Cole, you know?" Spark held Colette's hand and squeezed it.

"I missed you too Spark."

As Colette enters the house she looks down at her Converses and decides to untie them. Spark noticed and told her, "it's alright, don't worry about it," but from how Colette was raised, her Filipino mother always told her to remove shoes inside the house.

Spark introduces her to her friend who was sitting on the couch, her hair in a bob with a blue balayage. She wore a black mini skirt and a leather jacket.