Chapter 59

————— Percy's POV: —————

Artemis combed through my hair gently as Jason and Bizzaro played video games, Jason switching between trying to cover Bizzaros eyes and actually trying to play.

I watched intently as the little characters raced across the screen.

"You excited to go to camp again?" Artemis asked, her fingers grabbing a chunk of my hair to maneuver.

I'd briefly told them about camp and what I did there but since summer was now arriving at the end of this weekend the topic had become a lot more prevalent, especially since Jason was dropping me off this year.

I hummed a yes, stopping myself from nodding so I didn't mess Artemis up.

"Very excited." I said.

"That's good." She mumbled, her attention clearly on my hair.

"You know you can stay here a week longer." Jason said. Looking over at him I could see he was attempting to focus but his eyes kept going back to me. "I don't mind." I shrugged. Jason had said he missed me last year I went to camp, he acted like he hadn't seen me in years when I came back, so I could see this year he was a bit upset to see me go. It made me feel both loved and a bit guilty.

"I'd love to, but I already promised Chiron that I'd get there tomorrow so I could welcome in the new kids." I said with a small smile. It was true, but for the most part the kids were often way more excited to see me.

Jason nodded, his eyes resting on the tv again.

"So you're a counselor?" Artemis asked. I smiled and nodded.

"Of my own cabin in fact." A truth, though a lot less impressive when they learn that at most I watch myself and Tyson, though usually it's just me managing myself which isn't to say it's an easy job, but it does sound a lot less impressive.

"Ooooh, so you're in charge?" I shrugged.

"I suppose in some ways."

"And do you have any other counselors in your cabin?"

"No, just me since I usually have a small group." She hummed in response, beginning to braid my hair.

"Do you ever have returning kids?" Jason asked from the corner, and I turned to look over at him to see that Bizzaro had gotten up for a snack.

"Most of the kids return." I said, "a lot of them are super little too so they end up coming for many years. Like Annabeth has been going since she was 7." Jason looked a bit surprised before nodding.

"That's interesting." I nodded.

"So since we've been pretty proactive members at camp we're pretty well known thus I help out a lot with the kids."

He nods.

"Who are your youngest campers?" Artemis asked.

I tried to think for a moment. "I believe maybe like 5? 6?"

"And they stay there the entire summer?!" Jason almost exclaimed, her eyes widened.

I nodded. "We all do. It sounds worse than it is though, the kids love it because everyone there is pretty understanding...well, most anyways." Jason nods. "You get pretty attached to the little guys honestly."

"It sounds like it." Artemis says, nearing the end of the braid.

"Well a lot of the kids come from places like me, so..." I smiled, fiddling with my fingers gently. "So I like to make camp as special for them as it is for me." I felt Artemis's hands slow and Jason's eyes turn to me.

"I see." Jason eventually said.

"And done." My hair fell against my back as I turned to look at Artemis, her face holding a warm smile.

"Thanks Artemis." She nodded, pulling her legs up onto the couch.

I pulled myself up to a standing position before sitting myself in a chair.

Artemis sat beside Jason with a smile as she took the remote from him.

"I suppose then..." Jason eventually said. "That it is important that you're on time. Just text me more often, okay?" I smiled and nodded.

"I promise."

Jason smiled in return.

—————
681 words