Chapter 4

My leg bounces up and down restlessly as I sit in the changing room on game day. The team is gathered around, all going through their own game day rituals. I constantly find myself checking the time on my phone, mere minutes away from my first appearance for Arsenal.

Minutes pass, taking longer with every time I check the clock. Katie has been talking to me, but my mind is too foggy to follow the story. She doesn't seem to mind, as she keeps herself entertained with her own stories.

Whenever I am not watching the seconds tick away on the clock, I am watching Leah out of the corner of my eye. Her already normal stoic complexion is enhanced. A furrow forms between her brow as she sits with her head rested on the wall, eyes shut.

"Attention, team!" Kim Little's commanding voice reverberates through the locker room, prompting a symphony of clinking phones and shifting headphones as players rise to converge into a tight-knit huddle. "This game rests in our hands," she asserts, initiating the rallying cry. "Let's execute our practiced strategies, especially in expanding our offense to capitalize on counterattacks. But above all, communication is key." Her words are met with unanimous nods of determination.

"Our recent analysis of West Ham reveals vulnerabilities in their gameplay," our head coach interjects, seizing the moment. "If we prioritize the elements Little highlighted, victory will be within our grasp—a decisive step towards securing three crucial points in the league standings. Now, unleash the Arsenal might they've yet to witness!" The huddle erupts in a crescendo of cheers, punctuated by celebratory high-fives, fueling the team's enthusiasm as they line up, ready to step onto the field and showcase the formidable force of Arsenal.

I catch myself watching Leah as she waits in the queue to enter the field. Observing her hand-in-hand with the young mascot, I noticed a remarkable transformation in her demeanor. She effortlessly engaged in heartfelt conversations and wore a radiant smile—a stark departure from the usual stoic facade I've come to recognize in her.

Stepping into the tunnel, anticipation swirled within me. As we awaited our entry onto the field, the weight of heightened scrutiny and lofty expectations bore down on us. The palpable nervousness gripped us all, urging us to perform at our peak. The transition from tunnel to grass felt almost surreal, yet an electrifying surge of adrenaline coursed through my veins. This is the juncture where I excel, where my true essence shines—the field, my sanctuary, where I am in my element, thriving.

The game begins with me on the bench. It was to be expected as a new sign at my first game. I watch as kick-off begins and the game starts. The team does exactly what we talked about. Their play flowing so smoothly, the team working as one.

Jill finds the back of the net first, scoring in the 23rd minute. The bench erupted in cheers as we watched everyone on the field run together in a huddled celebration. The victorious feeling, however, soon became diminished as only 4 minutes later West Ham came back with an equalizer.

"Y/LN." the coach turns around from his box on the sideline. "Get up and start warming up." I feel the blood drain from my face. Sure I was ecstatic to be making my debut, but I truly was nervous. I set my fears aside and begin to warm up my muscles.

Watching the gameplay while warming up, it was evident that despite the quick equalizer by West Ham the girls on the field were not shaken up, but rather more motivated than before. Miedema quickly does what she does best and brings Arsenal back up with another goal in the 34th minute.

"Y/LN, you ready?" I nod towards my coach and take off my coat and substitute pinnie. "You're going in for Roord. Remember what I said in the pre-match huddle, but also remember we signed you for a reason, Y/N. Congratulations on your first appearance as a Gooner." He pats my back a few times as I jump up and down and shake out my muscles.