Chapter 25 - Moon 15

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to the Falling Rock camp?" Redclaw asked, looking unsure of himself.

"N-" Ivyshadow started.

"-Yes we are," Runningmouse finished for her, earning a glare from Ivyshadow.

"I can watch the camp for you." Redclaw blurted out.

Ivyshadow stared at him in shock. So her brother really did have a heart beneath all the mindless muscle. Why did Runningmouse always have to be right?

Runningmouse gave a respectful nod, "Thank you, Redclaw. I appreciate it."

"It's not like I have to really do anything," Redclaw mumbled, giving Runningmouse a jerky nod of his own.

As Redclaw padded away to stand guard outside the camp entrance, Runningmouse called for Daypaw to join them. "Ivyshadow and I are going on a walk. Can you stay awake here to back up Redclaw?"

Ivyshadow felt her ears grow hot. She knew what a late night walk would imply to the young apprentice.

○○○

It didn't take Runningmouse long to find a tunnel; there was one just beyond the border. "We - they - have a whole network of tunnels underneath the soil." Runningmouse explained.

He shoved a large rock out of the way, revealing a gaping black hole. They both paused to stare at the nothingness, but their expressions were opposite. While Ivyshadow watched it with a foreboding feeling, Runningmouse stared at it with a loneliness in his eyes, a longing.

They slipped inside the tunnel, Ivyshadow sticking close to Runningmouse in the darkness. "Where are we going?" her voice echoed through the tunnel.

"To the river," Runningmouse meowed grimly.

They walked in silence for a while, not wanting to alert the Falling Rock cat's of their presence. Runningmouse moved effortlessly through the tunnels, seemingly not needing any light to know where he was.

Finally, he stopped. The dirt beneath their paws was a muddy sludge now, but there were no signs of a rushing river. "It was right here." Runningmouhi's voice was hollow, "fish lived here. During the summer, new fish would hatch and make easy prey, while in the winter all the animals would hide down here to escape the cold."

Ivyshadow tried her best to see anything, but pitch blackness stretched in every direction. "Do we-" So you have come.

Ivyshadow abruptly stopped talking, hissing in annoyance. "Crystalpelt? I thought you forgot about me."

"What are you talking about, Ivy?" Runningmouse asked.

It is hard to contact warriors, but Birchtail has blocked me from his head now. Crystalpelt's voice didn't sound cold and mysterious - more like whiny and annoying. Ivyshadow huffed in annoyance, "Leave poor Birchtail alone."

"Leave him alone?"

"No, not you Runningmouse, it's Crystalpelt. She's in my head."

You must save them, Tall Trees apprentice. They are dying.

"What do you think I'm doing?" Ivyshadow snapped back irritably.

"Crystalpelt, you said?" Runningmouse asked, pressing closer to her.

You have to save them! Leave Runningmouse and go bring back the river!

"Ahh, don't you ever shut UP?" Ivyshadow took a step back, overwhelmed.

"Sorry, Ivy." Runningmouse sounded hurt.

"No, don't-" I know how to help you.

Ivyshadow felt a tugging on her paws, and she unintentionally began to follow the sensation. "Where are you taking me? How are you doing this?"