guilt - conner kent

In the aftermath of Hank's tragic death, the solemn atmosphere hung heavily over the whole team. Conner, wracked with guilt and grief, found himself caught in a web of self-blame. His abilities and strength seemed useless in the face of the loss he felt, and he couldn't shake the feeling that he could have prevented it.

As Conner grappled with the weight of responsibility, you became his refuge. You've always been the one to offer a kind word or a reassuring smile, and in these dark times, your empathy shone even brighter. you recognized the torment in Conner's eyes and understood the guilt he was feeling, having gone through something very similar before.

Late one evening, you find Conner standing alone on the rooftop, his gaze fixed on the city below. You approach him silently before gently speaking, "Conner, it wasn't your fault. I know you tried your best to save him."

Conner turns to face you, his eyes betraying a mixture of sadness and frustration. "I should've been faster, stronger. Hank wouldn't be gone if I had just been better."

You move closer, resting a hand on Conner's shoulder. "You're not alone in this, Conner. Just know that blaming yourself won't bring Hank back."

In the days that followed, you became Conner's confidant. Late-night conversations turned into shared silences, where your presence alone provided a comfort that words couldn't express.

As the team struggled to cope with the loss, conflicts arose within the team. Conner's guilt manifested in moments of frustration, and he distanced himself from the others. You, however, refused to let him isolate himself, making sure to always be there for him.

One day, after a particularly heated argument with Dick, Conner found himself at a breaking point. You went to look for him, finding him in the training room, fists clenched, and jaw tight. Without saying a word, you approached and wrapped your arms around Conner in a comforting embrace. He didn't hug you back but he didn't push you away either.

After a couple moments, you pull away, looking up at him. "I know you're hurting, Conner," you say softly, "but shutting everyone out won't make the pain go away. Hank's death wasn't your fault and it never will be. You tried your best to save him."

Conner's gaze remains distant, his eyes reflecting the storm of emotions within. He sighs heavily, shoulders slumped with the weight of guilt he's unfairly carrying. "But it wasn't enough. I could've saved him if only I was faster. So, yes, it is my fault, Y/N," he finally spoke, his voice strained.

You put a hand on his arm, feeling the tension in his muscles. "Conner, blaming yourself won't bring Hank back. You did everything you could in that moment. Jason is the one responsible for what happened, not you."

Conner's jaw clenches as he struggles with all the different emotions he's experiencing. "I just can't shake this feeling, Y/N. Every time I close my eyes, I see it happening again. I should've-"

You cut him off, "Conner, stop. Blaming yourself won't change the past. I'm here for you and pushing me away isn't going to change anything." You squeeze his hand gently, trying your best to comfort him, but unsure how.

He shook his head, struggling to accept your words. "I should've saved him, Y/N. I'm supposed to be a hero, and I failed. I couldn't stop his death."

You meet Conner's gaze, unwavering. "Conner, being a hero doesn't mean you can control every outcome. There'll always be someone you can't save, no matter how hard you try to prevent that."

Conner's eyes bore into yours, grappling with his internal turmoil. "But I could've done more, Y/N. I can't just accept that I couldn't save him."

You maintain your steadfast gaze. "Conner, accepting the reality doesn't mean giving up. It means finding a way to honor Hank's memory and move forward. Blaming yourself won't do his memory any justice."

He takes a deep breath, a mix of frustration and resignation in his expression. "I just don't know how to let go of all of this guilt."

You place a gentle hand on Conner's cheek, meeting his troubled gaze with unwavering support. "Letting go doesn't mean forgetting, Conner. It means accepting that you did everything you could. Hank wouldn't want you to carry this burden."

Conner's eyes soften as he searches your face for reassurance. "I don't want to lose you too, Y/N."

You smile, a mix of love and understanding. "You won't. I'm here for you, Conner, no matter what happens. We'll face it together."

Conner's shoulders slowly relaxed as he absorbed your words. The weight on his chest didn't lift entirely, but your unwavering support provided a momentary respite from the storm inside him.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Y/N," he admitted, a hint of vulnerability in his voice. You brushed your thumb gently across his cheek. "You're not alone, Conner. We'll find a way through this together."

As the days unfolded, your unwavering support began to chip away at Conner's guilt, creating small pockets of space where he could breathe without feeling the crushing weight of responsibility.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the room, Conner turns to you with a soft smile. "Thank you, Y/N. For everything. I don't think I would've made it out without you being there for me."