nightmares - jason todd

You wake up, gasping for air. You can feel a cold sweat forming on your face. Your anxiety races and your heart pounds. It was that damn nightmare again. The same one you've been having for a while.

It starts normal and cute, just you and your boyfriend, Jason, spending time together when all of a sudden these people come out of nowhere and start to attack you both. The dream takes a dark turn, and no matter what you do, you can't protect Jason. It's like you're frozen in fear, being forced to watch as the nightmare unfolds.

You sit up in bed, trying to shake off the lingering unease from the dream. The details of Jason's face and the fear in his eyes are still vivid in your mind. Taking a deep breath, you reach for your phone on the nightstand to check the time. 2:09 am. The room is dimly lit, and a soft glow from the streetlight filters through the curtains.

You think about going to Jason but you don't want to wake him up unnecessarily. After a couple of minutes, you decide to get up and go towards the kitchen, where you get yourself a glass of water. You've been on edge lately, thinking that someone's watching you and that they're going to attack you at any moment.

You drink the water and take a deep breath again as you try to relax. You start to head towards your room but as you pass in front of Jason's room, you stop and wonder if maybe you should enter. You put your hand on the doorknob and turn it slowly, opening the door, afraid to wake him up.

Torn between possibly waking him up and letting him rest, you decide to quietly slip into the room. The floor creaks under your weight, but Jason remains undisturbed. You lift the cover and lay down on the bed, facing Jason. He stirs slightly, his eyes fluttering open. In the dim light, he looks at you with concern, sensing something is wrong.

"Hey," he murmurs, his voice groggy with sleep. "Everything okay?"

You nod, your eyes meeting Jason's. "Just a bad nightmare," you admit, feeling more at ease as his warm presence comforts you. "Sorry for waking you up."

He reaches out, his hand gently tracing comforting circles on your hand. "You never have to apologize for that. I'm here for you." Jason's concern deepens as he studies your face. "Want to talk about it?"

You take a moment, contemplating whether to share what happened in the dream. What if he thinks it's stupid? "We're together and then these... people come out of nowhere and start attacking us. And I- I couldn't do anything," you say, your voice breaking as you feel tears forming in your eyes. Maybe it doesn't sound that bad but having to witness it is terrifying, even if it isn't real.

Jason's expression softens, and he pulls you closer, wrapping his arms around you protectively. "Hey, it's okay, Y/N. It's just a dream. I'm right here, and nothing's going to happen," he reassures you, his touch providing a sense of security. "You just have to remember that no matter how vivid your dreams are, they're not real."

You let out a shaky breath, grateful for his understanding. "I know it's silly, but it feels so real. I hate that I just feel so helpless like I can't do anything."

Jason tightens his embrace, understanding how tough it is. He's had a fair share of his own experiences with nightmares. "It's not silly at all. Dreams can mess with your head, but you're not alone. You'll always have me," he says, gently wiping away a tear from your cheek.

Jason smiles reassuringly, his thumb wiping away the remaining tears. "And you know I've got some experience dealing with bad dreams too," he adds. "But seriously, you're not alone in this. Don't be afraid to wake me up if you ever get another nightmare. I'd rather be here for you than have you suffering alone."

Feeling the warmth of his embrace, you let yourself relax a bit more. You can feel the lack of sleep starting to get to you as you yawn. "Thanks, Jason," you say, your voice quiet as a result of your lack of energy.

Jason holds you a little tighter, a comforting presence in the darkness. "Anytime, Y/N."

As you settle into his embrace, the tension from the nightmare gradually fades away. Jason runs his fingers through your hair soothingly. "You need some rest," he suggests, his voice a soft murmur. "You should try going to sleep, Y/N. Don't worry, I'll still be here when you wake up," he says, the corner of his lip curling into a reassuring smile.

All you can manage is a small, tired yawn and you rest your head on his chest and snuggle closer. As you slowly start to drift back off into sleep, Jason continues to hold you close. The darkness outside seems less daunting now, and you find peace in the presence of the person who cares for you deeply.

In the quiet of the night, Jason's steady heartbeat is the only sound that can be heard and gradually, you feel yourself falling asleep with no worries. The tension from the nightmare dissipates as sleep gently reclaims you. The warmth of Jason's embrace helps calm drift off. "I love you, Y/N," is the last thing you hear before you finally fall asleep.