Chapter 4

~Tide~

How is it that I'm more tired than I was when I fell asleep?

I sigh quietly, wishing I hadn't woken up and broken the barrier between dream and reality. My eyelids flutter open as I take a deep breath of what I realize to be evening air. How long have I been sleeping? What time of day was it when I got here?

My eyebrows furrow as I sit up. I glance around the human's room as I try to remember how exactly I got here. All I can remember is yelling and then waking up in a metal box. Why was I in a box?

I couldn't have walked into it. I have a strict 'No Box Policy'. Or, at least, I would have if I saw the box before I was put inside it.

I groan softly, rubbing my eyes. Now I confuse myself. Where did that thought even come from?

I lazily get out of the bed. My movements remind me of the clothing I have on. I hate clothing. It's always rubbing up against my skin, and making me uncomfortable. But, humans have always preferred clothing. As a result, my brother, Hemlock, made me promise to always put pants on when I'm on land. I don't know if he still wants me to, but I put some on just in case.

Thankfully, Hemlock knew I wouldn't be able to deal with a shirt, so he hadn't made me promise to wear one of those too. I stretch, and yawn a bit before walking to the door.

In my palace, I didn't have doors. I had doorways. I've always thought doors to be restricting and I've always enjoyed open spaces.

I walk through the doorway and down the short hallway of similar looking doorways. I would go explore further, but the feeling of wanting to get out drives me to rush out of the hallway.

I'm now in a room that has much more space, and I relax slightly. But still walk to an invisible door that shows the outside. There aren't any doorknobs, so I push it to the side. Surprisingly enough, it actually works.

I step out into the sun and take a deep breath of air. This is much better. I walk into the grass, liking the feeling of the blades under my feet, but also wishing I were walking on one of my beaches and feeling sand instead. I smile sadly. I sound homesick, and in a lot of ways I guess I am.

I walk through the grass to a tree whose leaves touch the ground. It gives of this melancholic beauty that makes me wish Hemlock were here so I could ask it's name. I sigh. Hemlock and I always fought, and now look at me, wishing he were here.

I walk under the branches and sit with my back against the bark of the trunk of the tree. I close my eyes as a feeling of peace washes over me, a feeling I haven't felt since I saw what the humans did to my domain. I frown at this thought, irritation edges back into my system.

"When did you wake up?" A voice asks, making me open my eyes. I stared at the guy who I saved from drowning and who apparently enjoys my company, for whatever reason. "Oh, right. I forgot you don't like to talk. There's a snake that lives over there, so you probably shouldn't stay sit there."

Land serpents, I remember those. I get up and walk out from under the tree, passing the human as I walk away from the serpent's home. I pause and look at the sky which is a deep blue.

"Come on. It'll be dark soon." The human says, walking to the house. I take another deep breath before reluctantly following. I would attempt to runaway, but I don't know this land and it would be very unwise for me to do so.

We walk into the house and the human takes off these weird looking sandals things before motioning for me to follow him again. He did on one side of this long chair, but I hesitate before sitting on the other side. The human doesn't talk at first. Instead, he studies me like he did in that room with the water. I stare back at him this time, my gaze blank and impassive.

The scent of lust comes back and I look away. If this keeps happening, I'm going to start blushing.

"Will you tell me your name now?" He asks. I glance at him for a second before looking away again. This human is going to be the death of me. I can't even focus enough to decide if I want to tell him my name or not.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." The human says, disappointment lacing his voice and, of course, I act without thinking.

"My name is Tide." I say, flicking my gaze back to the human who seems surprised by my words. Then, a smile breaks out on his face, capturing my gaze and making it impossible to look anywhere else.

"Hi, Tide." He says, my name sounding beautiful rolling off his tongue. "I'm Noel."

"Noel?" I ask. I've never heard the name before but I like it. His smile widens.

"I like your voice." He says, making my cheeks heat up. I look down in an effort to hide from his eyes. I feel movement on the couch in front of me. And, my chin is pushed up, so Noel and I are face to face.

"And your eyes." He says as our eyes meet. My breath catches as I realize he's only a couple inches from me. As I stare into his eyes, I notice little speckles of green in his irises and suddenly all I can think about is what his lips would feel like against mine. Noel smiles, and pulls away.

I frown. Does he really think he can do that to me? I grip the back of his neck and press my lips to his.

~~~~
Oh, wow. That escalated quickly. I think I need to slow down a bit.

Anyways, I hope you liked it!

~Authentic