Chapter 2

~  Tide  ~

Why can't this human leave like the others?

The feeling of his gaze burns the side of my head. He's been staring for what it seems like for forever, and it's starting to make me uncomfortable. I can see the water in front of me lapping a bit more harshly then before, but I can't help it.

The fact that I can smell the intoxicating scent of lust coming off of him in waves, in no way helps. It takes every bit of restraint for me to give in to his little experiment.

The fact that he asked for my name earlier confused me a bit. Could it new possible that humans have forgotten about us? This thought triggers both sadistic glee and anger.

They locked us in our minds and then forgot about it? That quickly? Is it because they thought were were now harmless?

Too bad for them, I'm back and it's technically their fault. If it weren't for the pollution in my domain, I wouldn't have been able to break the spell. I wouldn't have been that angry if it weren't for the fact that my domain wasn't a little messed up.

No. It was ruined.

I feel anger flare up inside me and watch as the water in front of me gets a bit more violent at the feel of my change of mood.

"Are you okay?" Before I can stop myself, my eyes meet his light brown ones. I give him a cold glare in response. He, however, still doesn't look away. Instead, he gives me a confused and hurt look. "What? What did I do?"

Again, I don't answer. This time I give him a blank look. This seems to confuse him further.

"What?" His eyebrows furrow, making him look even more adorable. I roll my eyes at my thoughts and look back at the water, which is significantly calmer. I frown slightly. Where did my anger go?

"Hey, don't ignore me." The human says. I ignore him, mostly because he told me not to. No one bosses me around. The last person to try ended up at the bottom of the ocean.

"You're being rude." I sigh internally. Now that I looked at him; he seems to think if he continues to talk I'm bound to talk to him. Instead of speaking, I make the water crawl closer to me. I watch silently as the water makes a circle around me.

The human makes a surprised noise, and looks away from me first the first time since he entered the room. He's quiet, and I can't help but glance at him. He seems to be unsure about something.

"I'll, uh, I'll be right back." He says and gets up and leaves almost hesitantly. I look at the door he disappeared from surprised. Well, I should have tried that earlier.

Should I escape yet?

No. They're probably watching me. What a shame it is that they continue to waste their short lifespan especially considering the fact that I won't shift into a merman for them. I refuse to be seen as their project, and if they knew more about me they would lock me up in a tank somewhere. I'd probably be able to get out, but they'd always be looking for me.

And so I sit. Alone, and surrounded by my small circle of water.

It felt like hours before the door opens again and a human enters. I use my side vision to study the newcomer, and quickly realize this human is the same one from earlier. The human sits a few feet away from me, and I let him. If it were any of the other humans I've come across, I would have moved a bit away or walked into the water. But, I let the human shorten the distance between us.

And, I wouldn't be able to tell you why I was still.

"Look, I know you don't want to, but I've got to ask anyway. Can I take some of your blood?" The human asks and again I wonder why I hadn't categorized him with the other humans. I give him a dirty look before gazing at the water as if he hadn't asked.

"My boss is going to get you tranquillized if you refuse." He explains rather bluntly. I frown slightly, but refuse to willingly subject myself to their tests. Worst case, I attempt my plan of escape early. The human sighs.

"Fine. They'll be here soon." I continue to ignore him and the glare he has focused on the side of his face.

We sit in complete silence for about twenty minutes before the door opens. My eyes flick up and I immediately realize how bad my situation is. The four humans that just entered have a light layer of protective gear and these weird contraptions in their hands.

Was that what the human meant by "tranquilized"? How can they stab me with that if it isn't even sharp?

I frown. I really don't want to find out.

I get up, and jump into the water. Even though I'm in the water, they don't seem to give up this time. This time, they come to the edge of the pool and I know I have to move. I quickly swim to the barrier which separates me from the sea animals and more water. I grip the top of the glass and pull myself over before these little container things with pointy tips hit the glass.

I release the glass and stand in the water. I don't have to swim to not sink in the water. I can stands perfectly still and stay afloat. One of the great things about being the water Keeper.

Another great thing is I get to do this. I watch with glee as a wave crashes into the humans, making them lose their balance and fall. I grin, but before I can swim away I notice something in the water. In absolute annoyance, I groan.

The stupid human. He fell into the water and now the other humans didn't notice because they're too busy looking like airheads.

He seems to be trying to swim up, but without any oxygen his strength is weakening at an alarming pace. The aftermath of my wave isn't helping him in the slightest. In fact, it seems to be pulling him down. I sigh. Save him and probably get captured or don't save him and get probably dies...

Tough decision.

The human is barely moving. I sigh, quickly pulling myself back over the barrier. I dive, feeling my gills start to work. As I reach the human, I grip the sides of he's face and press my lips to his. He almost immediately pushes at my chest, but as I release oxygen into his mouth his actions weaken.

After a couple seconds I pull away, grip the human around the torso, pull him to my side, and swim to the surface. As we break the surface, the human grips the edge of the pool of water as if his life depended on it.

"Got him!" I hear someone yell next to me. There's a sudden pain in my shoulder, and everything turns black.